Question Details
Pug With Ataxia, Back Pain, Ivdd
by sherebrin - December 7, 2009
Hi, I have been treating a very sweet pug Lola( 9yo sf) for recurrant back pain; started a year ago, responded well to acupuncture and Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin, was great for a while, then recurred this past September. Acupuncture alone was tried (she was not as bad as 1st time) but was not respondinga s well as before, so Xian Fang Huo was started again. She was a "demo" at the recent AVAC seminar Nov.6 with Linda Boggie, and was treated with exraordinary meridian acupuncture to relase the iliopsoas and diaphragm (GB41, 27, 26, ST25, BL17), then her next treatment Nov 17 was Yang Qiao Gv20, GB20L, BL62R and local HTJJ points. She was doing well: pulses were ok to soft (more on left), tongue dark pink, and so I transitioned her over 5 days off the XFHMY onto Si Miao San; past few days she has gotten very ataxic and painful again, not able to lift head, collapses when tries to jump up. Pulses wiry, deep, tongue red tip, pale sides, purple centre. In the meantime I am going to start her back on XFHMY+SMS, but I would like any thoughts on continued herbal therapy for this dog- am I on the right track?
Replies
by naturevet
December 7, 2009
Hi there,

I would definitely get a chiropractic evaluation if there's anyone around there who can do that for you. The behaviour sounds reminiscent of 'vertebral' fixations.

Barring that, the deep wiry pulse and pale-edged tongue with a purple center suggest a need for dispersal. XFHMY can disperse, but SMS tends to pull the blood centrally from epithelial surfaces and so may not be helping here, where the blood needs to be moved peripherally.

What to use? When an animal is comprehensively compromised in its motion, I think first of some derivative of Xiao Chai Hu Tang (Minor Bupleurum). You can use it straight or add Qin Jiao (aka Benefit Hips and Knees from Kan).

If the animal is acting quite cold, or seeks heat, then the other consideration is Xiao Huo Luo Dan. Both of these formulas are moving, which suits the dark tongue. XCHT suits the efficacy you saw of GB points.

Hope that advice gets you somewhere. All the best,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply