Question Details
Intra Cranial Tumor, EPI And Seizures
by Marta - December 8, 2009
Hi Steve!
How are you?
I'm FREEZING in Seattle - it's an unusual -10 C outside and beautiful blue skies.
So, my patient:
Male neutered dauschund with great body weight (16 lbs);
Has had 2 surgeries to remove a recurring brain tumor this year;
Skin that was shaved was dry with white small flakes and very slow to grow back;
Right head tilt, walking along walls;
Severe pancreatic insufficiency;
On home cooked diet;
Pinnae hairless, and little fur there was clupmed.

Pulses thin and wiry;
tongue pale;
Active points LIV 13 and top of head - around scar.

Since acup, osteopathy and Ban Xia Bai Zhu Tian Ma Tang - 1/4 tsp bid for 6 weeks now - (also transfer factor, Viokase and vitamins), his fur has grown back (only the distal pinna are bald), his tilt has almost dissapeared but the pulse is still thin and taught.

I'm e-mailing because he had a grand mal seizure at 3 am. Recovered well.

Do I change anything?

Thanks,
I'd love to see you in March, but I'll be in Canada!!

Marta Nobrega

Replies
by naturevet
December 8, 2009
Hi Marta,

Cold here, too. We just came out of a period of -28 degrees Celsius here, which makes the current -16 seem balmy. You have to have the Yin to appreciate the tiny bit of Yang.

Regarding your case, I'm wondering if there is a LV-SP dynamic going on, creating the Damp and EPI that you've addressed with BXBZTMT. Certainly the tight pulses and pale tongue fit with that, as does LV 13.

So I'd maybe start with Xiao Yao San to harmonize the LV and SP, to see what happens there. If you see pulse, tongue, and EPI improve, then it suggests the next anti-seizure anti-vestibular formula you may want to consider is Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin, if it is even needed.

Congratulations on what you've accomplished thus far. I'm impressed with the owner's dedication!

Steve
by Marta
December 8, 2009
Thanks!
Happy Holidays!
Marta
by Marta
March 31, 2010
Hi again Steve,
I hope you had a good time here in Seattle! Vancouver was wonderful that weekend.
This patient - the Doxie, now has a bad case of vestibular, the neurologist thinks the tumor is growing. No seizures! He's a little hypertensive.
I still have him on 1/8 tsp Xao Yao San - weaning him off, and BXBZTMT.
His pulses are now weak. They went from wiry to slippery to now just plain soft.
Do you still think I should go with Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin?
Thanks for existing!!
Marta
by naturevet
April 1, 2010
Hi again,

It's a great place to start. If it helps, there will be a synergy between the XYS and TMGTY.

My favourite brain tumor formula is now Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang, but the pulse seems a bit weak for that. Still, keep it in mind.

Have a good Easter. It seems we talk only at holidays.

S
by Marta
April 15, 2010
Hi steve,
So, should I take him off BXBZTMT and give only XYS and TMGTY?
Thanks,
Marta
by naturevet
April 15, 2010
Hi again,

How has he done on the BXBZTMT? If he seems better, then it's okay to continue and pursue just that for a while. If he's no better, or worse, then I'd pull back on the BXBZTMT and go with the TMGTY in its place.

In short, never take away a formula that the animal is responding well to. If no response, or a worsening, then it's safe to go in a new direction.

S
by Marta
April 16, 2010
Hi Steve,
Sorry to take so much of your time with this one case.
My questions continue...
Barney is so much weaker (I hadn't seen him for 1 month), he's lost weight, has a head tilt to the right, muscle atrophy and weak rear.
His pulses are still very weak, but responded to needling at GV20 (site of tumor removal).

I have started him on alternating days of XYS and TMGTY, in addition to the BXBZTMT.
I'll see him again next week.

How can I tell if the BXBZTMT is still helping?

He did really well on it at first, and I'm afraid of pulling it off and then finding out it was supporting him. He has been on it for 6 months.
Thanks again,
Marta
by naturevet
April 18, 2010
If you were tonifying GV 20 (always important to deliberately tonify and sedate, and see which is helping), then the dog is dizzy from a collapse of Qi and Yang. In this case, Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang is called for.

If you were definitely sedating, then TMGTY is still called for.

Be very conscious of what you're doing to the needle on your next visit, and it should hopefully become clear which way to go.

If you end up using the BZYQT, don't use the other formulas.

S
by naturevet
April 18, 2010
If you were tonifying GV 20 (always important to deliberately tonify and sedate, and see which is helping), then the dog is dizzy from a collapse of Qi and Yang. In this case, Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang is called for.

If you were definitely sedating, then TMGTY is still called for.

Be very conscious of what you're doing to the needle on your next visit, and it should hopefully become clear which way to go.

If you end up using the BZYQT, don't use the other formulas.

S
by Marta
April 18, 2010
Thanks again!!
M
by Marta
April 29, 2010
Hi Steve,

We ended up going with the TMGTY and he's amazingly well. Walking without help, getting stronger every day.
Thanks once more.

Marta
by naturevet
May 2, 2010
Fabulous! Thanks so much for taking the time to give us the feedback. It helps everyone!

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply