Question Details
Large Breed Puppy Diet
by raustin - December 10, 2009
Hello -
I hope this isn't too off the subject, but I am caught between my eastern and western brain a bit here. I just adopted a 12 wk female, Dogue de Bordeaux puppy. We are big feeders of an Orijens and homecooked mix of food for our older dog, but I am curious of your thoughts for nutrients in puppies.

I am not sure anymore what I am supposed to be concerned about. The Orijens LB puppy diet has slightly higher calcium(1.4-1.6%) than traditional LBP diets (1-1.1ish) or what I am reading they should be. I plan on keeping her lean so I am not as concerned about the protein, fat, or energy if she is fed based on BCS. Should I be??

Thank You!
Rachel
Replies
by naturevet
December 10, 2009
Hi Rachel,

The rationale for the increased calcium is probably one that should be directed to Orijen (Championpetfoods.com). Their CEO is Peter (peter@championpetfoods.com). I suspect the phosphorus levels must be a little higher for the LB version, so they are balancing those out.

As for the higher levels of protein - are these a concern for LB dogs? Studies of diets that have a protein level of 37% on a DM basis in Great Dane pups showed no incidence at all of 'growing pains' and metaphyseal inflammation. The common incidence of that in large breed dogs appears to be more closely linked to a higher calorie content and energy density. Given that Orijen avoids the use of refined carbohydrates, it reduces the tendency towards inflammation, which the past couple of decades is actually linked to the glycemic index of a food. So a higher protein, low refined starch food reduces insulin demand, and thus does not provoke inflammation.

So, long story short, I think as long as we're talking about Orijen here, we're good. As soon as we start talking about another diet, then we have to examine the philosophy of the diet to be sure you can generally relax regarding its macronutrient ratios.

Hope this answers your questions. Have a great day,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply