Question Details
Itchy Dog
by lsargent - December 10, 2009
Hello Steve,

During your webinar last week I asked about a dog that was pruritic and dry but gets diarrhea on fish oils. We(read that you) decided tha Siao Mai San (excuse the spelling) would be the best herb for him. Well, he was on hyposensitization shots and was reacting strongly to the dilute form, then we stopped and the pruritis continued with the owner having to give a dose of prednisolone to let him and her sleep. Now she states that whe he takes the pred, he is very lethargic and has no energy which for an agility dog is really counter productive. Do you agree this is the correct formula still? I will put him on adrenal supplement from Standard Process as well.

Thanks, he is a great dog but the allergies are killing him! He is also allergic to potatoes and barley-and the food he is on( I had them read te bag tonight is full of rice, chicken meal is the first ingredient and the next four are rice derivatives. We ARE sorking on changing that as well,

Thank you so much,

Lois
Replies
by naturevet
December 11, 2009
Hi Lois,

Yes, we do expect an animal that has Damp Heat, and is thus amenable to Si Miao San, will have adverse reactions to prednisone. Blood and Yin deficient patients generally react well to it. The pulse tells us whether SMS, SRT or CSWLT is the best choice to manage this Damp Heat.

I'm glad you're working on the diet change. You won't get far without it, if the dog has Damp Heat.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply