Question Details
Anorexia In A Cat
by ericahawker - December 13, 2009
Hi Steve--

I have a 10 yr old FS Cat that has had a reduced appetite for the past 3 months. She is an obese cat with slightly dry skin. She recently had a dental cleaning with several extractions in October but that did not improve her appetite. She will have a good appetite with new foods, but then quickly lose interest. Owner notes that she often seems to want to eat, but can't and has difficulty with eating dry food. The client is easily able to force feed her a/d and this often stimulates her appetite. She was presented to me for a second opinion within our practice and I have run all bloodwork including PLI test--all normal, films are normal. Not drinking much water and was only urinating every few days and I was concerned because urine s.g was 1020. Tongue is dark pink, pulse is thin and deep but not wiry. Other vet put her on mirtazapine, pred, zeniquin-no longer on any of these.

She occasionally vomits up bile every 2-3 days (and has always done this), acting more social recently, and lies in the sun. Stools have decreased in frequency but are softer and dark in color, but no blood or mucus seen.

With her obesity, I am thinking of dampness or phlegm. Her soft stool, decreased appetite and seeking of the sun make me think spleen qi deficiency. So, I have narrowed it down to Liu Jun Zi Tang--- is that enough for the dampness? It deals with the vomiting, SBD and anorexia but she doesn't have a pale tongue or loss of balance, etc.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Erica
Replies
by naturevet
December 13, 2009
Hi Erica,

I have found dogs respond well to LJZT, but not especially cats. For cats, my two favourites are San Ren Tang and Wei Ling Tang. Given the preference for warmth, I'd go with WLT. It's so helpful for cats that I look at it as suitable for routine use anyway. As for what might be wrong, it wouldn't surprise me if the cat had mild gastritis, or just very slow bowel transit time (hence the benefits of cisapride in the past in cats with low appetite). Regardless of which one it is - delayed bowel transit or gastric irritation - WLT is suited to both scenarios with its anti-inflammatory and peristalsis regulating effects. So is SRT, in the event the cat turns out to be hotter than you think.

Hope that helps!

Steve
by ericahawker
December 13, 2009
Steve--

Thanks for your quick and concise reply. You're the best!

Erica
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply