Question Details
Bronchitis Dog Worse With Cold
by mikemesley - December 13, 2009
Dog has been on inhaltional medication flixatide and ventolin as well as XFZYT for COPD with R sided heart enlargement from Cor pulmonale. Has managed the dog well for past almost 12 months but is becoming less effective.

Other issues - massively overweight and this has been addressed as well as we can with an O that has repeatedly burst into tears when we tell her her dog is obese...

I have always king of thought there must be Damp Heat Issues present as well as stasis issues in upper burner - tongue has generally been red but always Blood moving points have been most beneficial to pulse until now - thus the choice of XFZYT. In particular when initially examined for herbal prescription SP21 was very effective in improving deep wiry pulse.
Today's exam = purple red tongue, stasis signs ventrally. Pulse deep, wiry - maybe a bit slippery too. Today GB points were active - suggesting now TB stasis to me. BL 22, GB25 and 34 particularly.

My first thought was CHJLGMLT because of the slight redness to the tongue and the real upper burner signs. However - the client has noted a huge improvement in the dog during warm weather - and he is much worse during cold. Would this alter your choice of prescription?
Also XFZYT does seem to have been useful in the past - would you continue it and add a TB formula, or go for a XCHT-based formula on its own. How about SRT - does it have the clout required to Move on a scale that seems to be needed here?

Thanks and regards
Mike
Replies
by naturevet
December 14, 2009
Hi Mike,

Once again, you're thinking the way I am. Xiao Chai Hu Tang and its derivatives can be a big help in dyspnea complaints and is worth a try. As long as you feel that the pulse is on the deep side, then XCHT is more appropriate. There are anti-Phlegm versions you can have made, too, if you feel you're getting somewhere again.

As for the XFZYT, if you don't feel it is of any benefit, I'd phase it out. If not sure, scale back on it as you add the XCHT.

If the pulse is superficial and slippery, CHJLGMLT is a better choice.

Steve
by mikemesley
August 25, 2010
Hi Steve,

An update on this case - I started on the XCHT and improvement was noted - significant. This dog will never be 100% I can't imagine unless diet change happened (NEVER!!).

When we saw slight deterioration with cold weather again, added XFZYT but this didn't help - perhaps even hindered this time. Stopped this and improvement again noted.
Have occasionally needed to use antibiotics this winter, and they seem to have helped in addition to XCHT for short bouts of presumed 2ry URT infection.

I feel there is something missing herbally that would help him, and I'd imagine you'd get it if you could see him - but I can't figure it.
Pulse still deepish, wiry (improved since on XCHT), GB points no longer active - more like BL17, BL22 (less so) and ST40 points now tender/active. Tongue paler, less angry purple than it used to be. I'd say lavender perhaps.
Dog has put on weight. Cold weather still remarkably linked to worsening - this is strongest feature of disease.

SO, perhaps the anti-phlegm version of XCHT is the go, or perhaps I was thinking something like WLT might be an addition worth considering. Can't see any direct anti-cough indications for WLT but maybe it could provide the insulin-sensitisation and thus anti-inflam that may be our next edge?
There are still some indications of blood stasis - wiry pulse, BL17 probably - anything here worth persuing that won't be tonifying like XFZYT?
I'd love to hear a possible explanation of why cold worsens a typically phlegmy/damp dog like this - maybe pathogenic factor perhaps - but you often nut these ones out better than anyone!

Thanks,
Mike
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply