Question Details
Lab With GI Issue
by rmtran - December 16, 2009
Hi Steve,

I need your advise badly on this case:

A 10 years old FS Lab with chronic GI issue
Main issue- belching all day long, occasional bloating of abdomen with pain, some orthopedic issues in front legs

T-red and dry, P-wiry and deep
While I was needling, I noticed that SP-9 made her pulse worse (no tonifying or sedating).
Good appetite, less water intake for the past 8 months; loves soft and warm place; friendly to people, alpha to other dogs (but not aggressive); sleeps well except for the occasional belching/bloating around 3 am, dreams x2/week.

I placed this patient on Bao He Wan (teapills).
The following night, the patient started the acute abdominal discomfort without belching. Then the client gave the first dosage of Bao He Wan, and the patient was taken to rDVM. There was a lot of gas in the intestine, otherwise non remarkable. The patient was placed on Tramadol for pain, then started to vomit mucus with specs of blood in 3 am today. The patient was less painful by 9 am.
The client recalls that pain started before she gave the first dosage of Bao He Wan, then no belching but pain (this is very unusual that this dog did not belch this time per the client). The client also started a new dry kibble the morning she saw me.
One interesting note from the client: This patient was dreaming like crazy for the past 1.5 days.

This is the shared case with internal medicine. This patient was seen 4 weeks ago by our internist and placed on Tylan and probiotics, and prescription diet for watery diarrhea with mucus/odor, no blood. Her stool is almost normal, but belching issue has not resolved; she continues to have an occasional incidence with abdominal distension with pain. At this time UTI was discovered with a routine UA and placed on Clavamox for 3 weeks (her GI did okay with this). The patient did not have any symptom for UTI.

She has been on metoclopramide after she was diagnosed with gastric motility issue at 1 year old; which helped her some. The client has manipulated her diet for years using home cooked diet, just to find that i/d helps her the most.

Her previous hx includes pyometra sx at 1.5 years old; urinary incontinence since spay (on Proin); reaction to Fragyl and most of other abx except for Clavamox (aggravates GI issue); black nose turned pink 2 years ago; no sensitivity to NSAID or Tramadol previously; very driven dog, competed retrieving for years

I am so surprised about the change in this patient so quickly and would like to get your opinion how to pursue this case. My diagnosis was SP and ST disharmony, Food stagnation. Underlying Blood Deficiency might be also a key. Did I miss something here?

Thanks,

Rieko
Replies
by rmtran
December 17, 2009
Hi Steve,

I was looking thru the post and you stated Cyperus and Aucklandia helps peristalsis;
I looked up formula that contained both, and came up with Xiang Sha Yang Wei Wan. Do you think that this will work?

But in her history, it appears that her symptom starts around 3 am (LI); so is this excess condition that can be worsened by tonifying formula?

Rieko
by rmtran
December 17, 2009
I saw this dog for follow up today.
The client stated that the patient is better with Sucralfate but continues to have discomfort in the abdomen.

Lipsmaking, serous nasal drips are new symptom.
T-red
P-wiry, not so deep this time

While I was talking with the client, I discovered that the patient is developing anxiety issue, by being care by various households while the client is on business trips. She also lost her mate 2 years ago, then the client's father who was very close has passed. I started to see some emortional issue with this dog and decided to place her on Xiao Yao San. Although I was not able to let my needle guide me (I tend to forget to do this), I certainly feel the changes in her pulse with my acupuncture treatment. Xiao Yao San contains Chai Hu, that will bring blood flow to the surface, Dang Gui has some effect on peristalsis, the formula in general is protective for SP.

I will post the progress as soon as I hear from the client.

Any comments are welcome!

Rieko

Rieko
by naturevet
December 19, 2009
Hi Rieko,

When I see the following symptoms in a patient - hematemesis, red dry tongue, thin rapid wiry pulse, gastric upset, vivid dreaming, and other signs of Kidney deficiency (hormonally responsive urinary incontinence; chronic lin) - I think of Yi Guan Jian. It nourishes Liver Blood and Yin, and Kidney Yin, while harmonizing the Liver and Stomach.

Xiao Yao San is a decided step in that direction, so if YGJ was a good choice, I'd suggest that you'll see some benefits to the XYS.

In this context, Bao He Wan would be expected to be aggravating, since it has an anti-phlegm effect, and is thus drying. Drying herbs would aggravate Yin or Blood deficiency animals, as would some bitter substances.

As for formulas that contain Mu Xiang and Xiang Fu both, the one I first think of that moves Liver Qi and nourishes Blood is Wu Yao Tang. But I think the dog needs more nourishment and cooling effects, given what you've described, and would benefit more from XYS or, especially, YGJ.

Steve

by rmtran
December 22, 2009
Hi Steve,

This patient had gotten somewhat better with XYS, and she was also placed on many other meds incluiding butorphanol and previcox as pain killer by our internists. I told the client to immediately discontinue previcox, and dispensed YGJ yesterday.

This morning, the patient is feeling better and did not need any butorphanol either. The client is happy and we thank you for all of your help!

Happy Holidays!

Rieko
by naturevet
December 22, 2009
What a nice Christmas present for you to finally see a significant success with herbal medicine, Rieko. Congratulations on all your hard work.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply