Question Details
Di Gu Pi...
by rcvvmd - December 17, 2009
Hi there,

I have been using Jing Tang's Di Gu Pi San formula for some Bony Bi Syndrome dogs. In studying classical formulas available, I come across Di Gu Pi Yin, quite a lot, but the constituents are not the same. Could you give me some details on the fundamental differences and clinical application differences between these two?

Thanks!
Dr. Robin Valentine
Replies
by naturevet
December 19, 2009
Do you mind posting the ingredients from the Jing Tang formula so we can have a look at it?

S
by rcvvmd
December 20, 2009

Sure! Thanks for having a look. I am really annoyed with myself because I can't interpret and make an educated guess at these larger formulas and/or potential long-term effects. I am just barely recognizing single herbs and 1 or 2 indications...

Bu Gu Zhi Psoralea Tonify Kidney Yang and Yin

Dan Shen Salvia Invigorate Blood and resolve stagnation

Dang Gui Angelica Nourish Blood and relieve pain

Di Gu Pi Lycium Nourish Yin and clear deficient Heat

Du Huo Angelica Dispel Wind, Cold and Dampness; relieves pain

Du Zhong Eucommia Strengthens the back

Gu Sui Bu Drynaria Tonify Kidney Yang and strengthen bones

Huang Bai Phellodendron Nourish Yin and clear Heat

Mu Dan Pi Moutan Cool Blood, clear Heat, resolve stagnation

Qin Jiao Gentiana Clear Wind-Damp, nourish Yin

Sheng Di Huang Rehmannia
Clear Heat, nourish Yin

Shu Di Huang Rehmannia Nourish Blood and Yin

Ze Xie Alisma Drain Damp and benefit the urination
by naturevet
December 21, 2009
Hi Robin,

The above formula is very similar to, and probably modeled on, Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang, but is more cooling due to the inclusions of Mu Dan Pi, Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan and Sheng Di Huang. Essentially it's taking ideas from dhjst and Zuo Gui Wan, etc. to create a new formula.

Shen invented this formula himself, so it's not a classic formula like Di Gu Pi Yin, which thus carries a different name. In Chinese herbal medicine, changing the last word was considered sufficient to differentiate one formula from another. In modern times, it's probably not, given that we have Tang (a decoction) being sold as a powder (San) etc. Anyway, I digress.

Di Gu Pi Yin is modeled on Xiao Chai Hu Tang, which vents pathogens from the Shao Yang. Often deep bone pain (such as during influenza) needs herbs which open the Shao Yang to address it. Eupatorium perfoliatum (Boneset) is a western example of the same concept, and has similar intra-medullary anti-inflammatory activity as Di Gu Pi Yin. In China, when we see heat damage to the bone marrow and interior of bones, heat in the GB is the number one cause.

So to differentiate use of the two formulas, ask yourself whether you are interested in just tonifying and strengthening a geriatric or relaxing stiffness (use Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang for that); or whether you suspect deep-seated bone inflammation (e.g. panosteitis, non-healing fractures, osteomyelitis) - use Boneset or Di Gu Pi Yin for that situation.

Hope that clarifies.

Steve

Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply