Question Details
Mast Cell Tumour In An Old Shih Tzu
by doris - December 17, 2009
Hello Steve,

I have this referral case for TCM today. This dog has Grade 2 Mast Cell tomour on its RF elbow lateral elbow since April 09. Two operations were done by another vet to remove the mass as much as possible. It was put on Lumostine and pred since Aug but o reckoned it was not helping as the mass is getting bigger with time.

today, I found that the dog has typical Dampness/phlegm in Spleen- pulse was wiry and slightly weak, tongue pale pink and slightly swollen, sensitive Back Shu at BL 20, hair coat slighlty dry with dandruff, not seek warm and increased thirst. This dog is not having Heat signs yet but I think it has some degree of Blood deficiency as well.

I put it on homemade meat based diet to start off with, with LingZhi and antioxidant supplement.
Should I put it on SMS + Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang? is is necessary to add San Leng and E Zhu at this stage?

thank you for your advices.

Regards,
Doris
Replies
by naturevet
December 19, 2009
Hi Doris,

Unless there are overt signs of Damp beyond the sensitivity at BL 20, XFZYT seems well indicated. If you can get the version with SL and EZ added, this will yield even better results, but XFZYT alone is a good place to start. It can also be applied topically to the tumor in DMSO gel or any basic salve. Dr. Fougere has had excellent results with this technique in mast cell tumors, although the masses were a little smaller. Lastly, later on, if results are unsatisfactory, I'd consider use of Blood root cancer salves. They require close supervision, but would help debulk the mass in the event the above is not quite adequate.

Don't forget use of vitamin A and D, orally, at least once a week.

Steve
by doris
December 20, 2009
Hi Steve,

The owner informed me that they have finally decided to amputate the affected leg! However they will also go for TCM for long term management. How much of XFZYT should I use as for preventing the recurrence of the tumour?

can u please explain further on what is "Blood root cancer salves"?

How much of SL and EZ and the Vit A & D I should use?

Thank you for your precious advices.

Doris
by naturevet
December 21, 2009
Hi Doris,

I would suggest adding about 12g each of the San Leng and E Zhu to whatever version of XFZYT you have.

For vitamin A, I would have used 50,000 IU of vitamin A per 10 lbs of b.w., up to a max of 500,000 IU in a single dose, and given it orally once to twice a week. Once a week long term. For vitamin D3, we use about 7500 IU per 10 lbs, to a max of 75000 IU, given at the same frequency. At those doses, you should not see any hypercalcemia, but see decent anti-tumor effects.

Lastly, you can search the forum for other articles on blood root (also, bloodroot) cancer salves to get an idea how they are used. They are applied topically to tumors, and essentially eat through them as a form of chemosurgery. They are best applied to small or very discrete lesions. Large masses deeply in situ can tend to be more problematic to manage, depending on the case. But they're great for removing warts and smaller pedunculated and well defined lesions. We get ours from Buck Mountain, which you can Google to get more information.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply