Question Details
Inflammatory Airway Disease In A Horse
by landauvet - December 19, 2009
Hi Steve,
I have been treating an 8 year old Arabian mare with a slight expiratory stridor at rest, exercise intolerance, intermittent cough and nasal discharge.
Symptoms are worse in the winter.

I recommended the horse be scoped and evaluated. She got back from Tufts with basically a reactive airway/asthma diagnosis. This situation was very much histamine induced. Tufts is recommending a tapering course of prednisone starting at a whopping 1 mg/kg bid plus inhalant steroid to manage the problem.

This mare has recurrence of her symptoms a few times yearly and gets quite affected although I have never seen her wheezing or in respiratory distress.
I saw her a few days ago. Thin, weak pulse. Thick, white nasal discharge, weak cough. Tongue was pale and pasty. Active BL-40, 20, and 13.

Aquapuncture to Above points plus LU, KID, and liv ting points.

Lung qi deficiency diagnosis. What would you recommend herbally. I was thinking Bu Fei Tang.
Thanks for your input.
Kevin
Replies
by naturevet
December 19, 2009
Hi Kevin,

My only concern about Bu Fei Tang is it is likely to aggravate the horse's Dampness and Phlegm. Shortness of breath on inspiration is more likely to be due to Qi deficiency. Wheezing on expiration is more likely to be due to some sort of obstruction to the flow of Qi out of the Lungs. In some cases, that is Qi or Blood stasis. In this case, it is most likely to be due to a Phlegm accumulation.

The first formula I think of for this remittent, refractory cough in a deficient animal with lots of Phlegm is Su Zi Jiang Qi Tang (Perilla Descend the Qi Decoction). It warms the Yang to allow the Kidneys to better grasp descending Lung Qi while also warming the Spleen and Stomach. The other herbs in there dry Damp, transform (disperse) Phlegm, and facilitate easy Lung Qi descent. It's a very good formula for COPD and emphysema. I've even used it successfully in cystic fibrosis in people, and also people with chronic tuberculosis.

I'd get some of that first and see how it goes.

Steve

by landauvet
December 20, 2009
Hi Steve,
Sorry to be running to posts at once. What is the best source of the Perilla Descend the Qi Decoction? I did not see it on Evergreen.

Thanks again. You are the best.
Kevin
by naturevet
December 21, 2009
Hi Kevin,

Mona can definitely hand make this for you.

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply