Question Details
Mammary Tumor
by Peggy Lewis - December 21, 2009
Recently saw a 16-yr. old mixed breed, intact Fe, w/ a softball-sized mammary tumor in left caudal chain. Mass is firm, not ulcerated, present and growing for 6 mo.Dog is sl. thin, heat-seeking, stiff/arthritic in hind legs; has mild dry seborrhea. depressed and not eating well since her 40-yr. o died suddenly 3-4 wks. ago.
I have read that Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin can be used for dogs w/ mammary tumors-- what do you think for this case?
Thanks. Peggy
Replies
by naturevet
December 22, 2009
Hi Peggy,

For the tumor themselves, yes, I use Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin. With this dog, though, I'd recommend starting with supporting the dog in general first. The dryness, chilliness, and stiffness put me in mind of Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang or even a Kidney tonic like Ba Wei Di Huang Wan or You Gui Wan. Any chance of surgical excision? That would simplify things and allow you to focus entirely on the dog's general well being. From a cancer perspective, you'd be generally rallying the immune system and peripheral circulation (and immune surveillance) of the patient. Once the dog has rallied a little, it may not be as much of a surgical risk, and the tumor could be excised.

If the tumor cannot be excised, then I'd still rally the patient a little before embarking on anti-cancer methods like Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin. The formulas will just work better if the dog is stronger first.

If you can surgically debulk, care of this dog should be pretty easy, since the focus will shift to prevention or delay of recurrence, which should be pretty easy even with dirty margins.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply