Question Details
DCM
by drangiekrause - December 21, 2009
Hello,

I have a 7 year old neutered male Doberman that has been diagnosed with DCM. In October he had pulmonary edema that has since resolved on the following medications: Pimobendan, benazepril, furosemide and l-carnitine. He feels well and is clinically normal except for chronic diarrhea that has started this year. His tongue is pale, wet and with a lavendar hue. His pulses are weak and regular. What type of herbal blend is safe to use with these drugs? What do you think about hawthorn? Any thoughts on CoQ10?

Thanks,

Angie
Replies
by naturevet
December 22, 2009
Hi Angie,

CoQ10 and Hawthorn are routinely used in our practices for cardiomyopathy. Ordinarily, I'd also use Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang, to enhance peripheral perfusion. It's not so appropriate for loose stools, however. Where do you think that is coming from? Are you suspecting some bowel wall edema? That would fit with the purplish wet tongue, which is what we typically see in Yang deficiency (and its associated excess of pathological Yin). So I'd start with aromatic warm Yang tonics. One of my favourites is a simple formula called Ling Gui Zhu Gan Tang, named for its ingredients: Fu Ling (Poria), Gui Zhi (Cinnamon twig), Bai Zhu (White Atractylodes), and Gan Cao (Licourice root).

It is very powerful at relieving edema, but you may also get some mileage out of Wei Ling Tang, or even Wu Ling San, if you have those. Even Ba Wei Di Huang Wan is a possibility.

Once you've drained and dried the edema, then Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang is appropriate. You can use them together from the get-go if you like.

Steve
by drangiekrause
December 22, 2009
Thanks Steve!

What kind of dosage do you use for hawthorn and coq10?

Thanks

Angie
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply