Question Details
Lymphoma In Corgie
by rmtran - December 21, 2009
Hi Steve,

I have a 12 years old FS Corgie with stage IV lymphoma.

I saw this dog three times over the past 2 months for arthritis; always abundant heat signs and did not respond so well with SMS when her tongue was red and pulse was wide (her incontinence got worse). I placed her on Da Bu Yin Wan, then the incontinence disappeared. By the third visit, her submand. lymphnodes were up and FNA comfirmed LSA. Abdominal US showed enlarged mesenteric nodes.

The client declined Chimo, so our internist placed this patient on immunosupressive dose of pred. The dog eats like crazy, but loosing weight. Muscle started to waste, and abdomen started to get enlarged.

I did not have Hoxsey like formula, so I placed this dog on Hoxsey 30C. She is off of DBYW, and I am wondering if she should be back on SMS;

Today, her tongue was still red, and pulse was soft but wide. I had difficult time checking the pulse as I needled.
She has been on high dose pred for the past 6 days; her submand. nodes has decreased its size, but still large.

Should I re-start SMS along with Hoxsey like formula on this patient?

I was wondering if I could have stopped this if I started Hoxsey earlier...

Thank you for your advise,

Riekob
Replies
by naturevet
December 22, 2009
Hi Rieko,

Yes, I'd go back to Si Miao San, too. It will counter some of the pred adverse effects and potentiate some of the anti-cancer effects of the drug.

A couple of other considerations: vitamin A and D; a diet that is not a grain-based kibble; and the addition of Ba Wei Di Huang Wan. Some of our longest lived cases (several years) of lymphoma have been on SMS plus Hoxsey plus BWDHW plus 0.1 mg/kg pred. BWDHW has the Kidney tonifying activity that the dog hinted was appropriate with the cessation of incontinence on Da Bu Yin Wan. At the same time, however, it drains Damp and is not as cloying as DBYW.

Hopefully you'll get things under control and will be able to pull back on the pred as you see the lymph nodes come down further.

Steve
by rmtran
December 23, 2009
Hi Steve,

I was archiving the previous post and your book as well.
I will start Vit A and D.
BWDHW; that's interesting. I thought that this dog would be too hot to use aconite due to Yin deficiency signs. Would other formula with Rehmannia help him in the same way?

I asked the internist if she would lower the pred while I am treating the patient; she is not going to do so since this form of lymphoma is so aggressive that she does not think that the dog will do well with lower dosage. Should I use SMS for this patient (about 24 lbs)in higher dosage to counteract its side effect? I assume that I would need to treat the pattern as I see her everythime...

Thanks!

Rieko
by naturevet
December 25, 2009
Hi Rieko,

BWDHW should not be so heating, even with its Aconite, that it proves problematic, but go ahead and support the dog with a Kidney Yin tonic instead. Maybe Liu Wei Di Huang Wan or Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan. The latter is more strongly cooling and might have more anti-neoplastic activity through the berberine it contains in Phellodendron.

I hope you had a great Christmas,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply