Question Details
Monitoring With Gymnema
by Lauren Chattigre - December 22, 2009
Hi Steve, I have a question about glucose monitoring when starting the gymnema corn silk formula in a dog who's already on insulin. Ginger is 53 pounds and on, as I recall, 14 units of insulin BID. I've started her on 1cc of gymnema/corn silk, but am unsure how to proceed with decreasing the insulin. I've asked him to get a baseline urine glucose prior to starting, and presuming she has some glucosuria to decrease the insulin by 2u each time her urine glucose goes to zero. If she's already at zero I was going to have him cut the insulin until we get 1+ so we've got a good baseline to start with. Then I was going to have him check the urine glucose every few days and continue adjusting. Is this a good protocol? Thanks. This is the first time I'm using this product.
Replies
by naturevet
December 25, 2009
Hi Lauren,

I hope you had a nice Christmas. Your plan for monitoring the dog sounds fine. For dogs, I don't necessarily expect a sudden drop in blood sugar anyway. That sometimes happens on Ginseng-based formulas like Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang (which are also a consideration), but the effect of the Gymnema combination should be gentle and gradual enough that hypoglycemia is unlikely.

All the best,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply