Question Details
GI Issues In A Lab
by dfarrnaturalvet - December 28, 2009
Hi, I think I asked about Madison some time back.

1) spayed, female 6 year old lab

2)Treated elsewhere for seizures with potassium bromide

3) presented with primary complaint of borborgymous, abdominal gas that caused discomfort. Better when she doesn't move. Also, some stiffness in rear legs.

4) weight loss (good thing), improved mobility, more active with change to homemade diet and decrease in potassium bromide dose. She is a happier dog.

5) however...no real improvement in abdominal gas.

6) I have used probiotics, Prozyme, SMS, XYS, WLT LJZT, Chamomile and Wild Yam and some Heel remedies, and , most recently, SRT (I know, the kitchen sink approach). Also, tried Open the Liver Canals thinking the Bupleurum might help.

7)Tongue is generally purple and wet. Pulse is weak, taut, and irregular. ST 36, SP 9, BL 21, BL 18 are active.

I am thinking of trying Bao He Wan but have no experience with it. What do you think? What am I missing? Thanks
Replies
by naturevet
December 28, 2009
Boy, it doesn't sound like you've missed much. It's hard to imagine that all those formulas have done nothing for the dog.

I guess one other idea I have is digestive enzymes. They can sometimes be very helpful. If they work, your food stasis formula (Bao He Wan) may work.

Sometimes if there is Spleen Qi sinking, it doesn't respond to anything except Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang, so that's an option, too.

I guess the only other stasis to rule out, if those don't work, is some sort of Blood stasis. So Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang might be an option.

Any chance of a food allergy? That could create symptoms refractory to herbs.

Lastly, any work up for this (ultrasound, rads)?

There is a good abdominal pain homeopathic called Colocynthis that works pretty consistently. Use 30C once to three times daily. Think of this especially if the dog seems to hunch with the pain.

Good luck!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply