Question Details
Pain Post Declaw
by swaneysue - December 29, 2009
Hi, I need some advice on a 1 year old dsh male neuter feline with severe in one paw post declaw. The surgery was in Aug. The referring vet used laser for the surgery. He has been treated with torbutrol and baby aspirin which helps a little. He is now very aggressive with the vets, he was very sweet prior to the declaw.

He holds the paw up and limps and curls the foot in when sitting. He will try to play but cant last long before limps and stops playing.

He seeks warmth,
Eating normal, drinks normal, stool normal
Noise sensitive
History of wheezing episodes-unsure if hairballs or wheezing-pulmonary
Eating calms him down-he will eat and go to sleep and relax. On second visit he was a little jumpy when I tried to pet and talk to him ,so I started feeding treats which he ate well and stared rubbing on my hands within in 5 minutes he curled up and went to sleep , he let me pet and touch his back , which he normally does not. I used an infra red light to treat the foot
Fine powdery dandruff when stressed
Normaly not like lumbar back and sacral area touched.

. I put him on Hypercium perfoliatum 30 x ( I wanted 30 c but they could not find) 3 pellets twice daily. He had a few days where he played but then he overdid and is really sore again.
I added BHI bone from heel to cover bone pain.
T= pink lavender P= no way !!! Active BL 18, 19, 20

I am hoping he will let me acupuncture him in a few visits-maybe

They are looking for 30 c , any other formulas ? I thought about three seed as related to helping hyperesthesia cats but it doesn’t fit what he shows.

Any ideas ?

Thanks Sue Happy Blue Moon
Replies
by naturevet
December 30, 2009
Hi Sue,

For pain that is worse from exertion, and is surgical in origin, homeopathic Arnica is a good choice. Up to 30C given twice daily is a thought.

More specific to the anger in a formerly sweet cat, as well as the pain from a surgical incision, is homeopathic Staphysagria. 30C here, too, would be ideal.

To hedge your bets, you could give both; maybe Staph once daily and Arnica twice daily.

You should see some progress over a few days.

Lastly, the points, sensitivity and anger naturally suggest a Liver-Spleen imbalance. Xiao Yao San seems a consideration for that, but is not specific to the most immediate problem. Staphysagria appears to be a Liver Qi stagnation remedy, and so would work well with Xiao Yao San to provide a relatively complete treatment. But it's fine for the cat by itself, too.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply