Question Details
Osteosarcoma Tx Options
by lucretia.greear - January 1, 2010
I have a 150 lb great dane/mastiff mix has advanced OSA. Surgery was not an option and chemo did not seem to work. He is currently on K9 Immunity, 100 mg of prednisone daily, and occasionally tramadol for pain. We wanted to try at least part of your protocol as outlined in the Dr. Messonnier's book on cancer in dogs. Here are some questions we had:

1) We have started him on bromelain, but aren't sure about the dosage. The book says 2000 IU per day. The pills I have are 2400 GUD/g or 500 mg. We're not sure how to convert that to IUs. How many pills should he have daily?

2) We were going to try the modified Hoxsey formula, but were given a formula by a veterinary Chinese herbalist. Do you recommend staying on this formula, changing to Hoxsey, or giving both? The formula is

30 gm Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang

15 gm Bao Hu Jiang Jua Tang

10 gm Wu Ling San

10 gm Red Flower

25 gm Bone Steaming

10 gm Bo He Wan

3) For the Vit A & D regimen, is the dosage the same for application with DMSO gel as with the injections? What is the best way to apply the gel?

4) What are your thoughts on Dr. Goldstein’s protocols of IV-Vitamin C, IV-ozone, and IAT?

5) Do you have any other recommendations for OSA?

Replies
by naturevet
January 1, 2010
Hi Lucretia,

It sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Regarding your questions:
1. I've tried to find info on that conversion of IU to GDU (a new form of measuring bromelain potency) but haven't been successful. I would advise dosing on the high side - at least the maximum human dose your product label recommends.
2. This is a tough one to answer. I'm not a huge fan of mixing so many Chinese herbal formulas together, but would hate to steer you away from that mixture if the person who suggested it swears by it. The success rate with Hoxsey is probably a maximum of 50 percent of cases, so if the other person says their success rate is much higher, than you'd have to go with their formula. Given that they have incorporated so many divergent formulas anyway, there's no problem in using Hoxsey with it. But if Hoxsey did happen to be really well suited to your dog, then the added herbs might interfere with that. So I'd talk to the other herbalist and see what their success rate and clinical experience with OSA is. If it's high on both counts, please let us know! We're all looking for new therapies!
3. For vitamin A and D, we now give it orally, but for a case as severe as this, now also give it daily. Whatever you were going to inject, just put in the food. In addition, put several drops in the DMSO on the lesion - it's probably not important at the outset to be that specific with dose. Later if you get good results, you can scale back the vitamin A and D to more comfortable levels. In addition, be sure to apply some of the Hoxsey via DMSO, too.
4. I have the same answer for this as for your second question. Dr. Goldstein is the best to comment on his success rates. Could it be helpful? I guess so, although ozone is supposed to be an oxidizing agent and vitamin C an antioxidant, so there would be room for conflict I think. Of the two, I'd choose the anti-inflammatory antioxidant effects of the vitamin C. I'm not sure what IAT is.

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. Sorry I couldn't give more concrete answers. I wish you well.

Steve
by lucretia.greear
January 3, 2010
Thank you for your answers.

One additional question:

Since the Hoxsey formula contains licorice root, is it safe to give with the current level of steroids?
by naturevet
January 4, 2010
Hi again,

There should be no problem with Licourice and steroids. Licourice won't enhance the immune suppressive effects of the steroids, just their half life. So there's no risk with using both in the same animal.

Steve
by lucretia.greear
January 16, 2010
Hello again!
The previous herb formula was intended to support a dog through chemo so we have stopped those and have started the dog on Hoxsey.
The same herbalist that gave the previous herbs has suggested a new formula but could not give any data on previous usage. What are your thoughts on this formula? Should we try it in conjunction with the Hoxsey?
30 gm Red Flower
25 gm White Flower
20 gm Bone Steaming Formula
25 gm Gi Xia Zha Yu Tang
3 tsp twice daily
By the way, regarding the bromelain, a human homeopath (who has occasionally treated dogs), says that 5-6 capsules daily of 2400 GDU/g is safe.

Another client has a 13 lb Yorkie with epilepsy and allergies. The dog is on 15 mg of phenobarbital twice daily. The client got an herbal formula donated to her for the allergies. I am not familiar with all of the ingredients; can you tell me if this formula is safe for the dog?
It contains: Red Clover, Echinacea, Yellow Duck, Burdock, Calendula, Licorice, Pink Yarrow, Red Clover, St. Johnswort & Chamomile.

Thanks again for your time.
by naturevet
January 17, 2010
Hi Lucretia,

The combo should be okay for the osteosarcoma. I would still intro the formulas one at a time to see their separate effects.

As for the skin formula, it looks safe. If there is a lot of St. Johns Wort, it can be photosensitizing, so if you live in a sunny place, it may be a problem. But if there's no much in there, there may not be.

All the best,

Steve
by lucretia.greear
January 19, 2010
We started the Hoxsey formula on Sat at 7 ml 2x daily. Since Sat the tumor has increased in circumference by a half inch.

1) Is this reaction normal?
2) Should we continue the Hoxsey?

Thanks!
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply