Question Details
Lethargic Sheltie
by swaneysue - January 3, 2010
Hi, Ozzie is a 11 year old male neuter sheltie with a 2 month history of
lethargy =Qi def third eye lids up, facial nerve paralysis on right side= wind invasion, Qi def
Also stiff all over, worse damp/cold DJD hips , , lumbar spondylosis, =wind cold damp Bi
Works out of stiffness but once does too much is worse again=stagnation
no temp preference
Anxiety, restless , pants , no cool seeking=yin def possible or pain
Dreams , noise sensitive, kcs mild ou =blood/yin def
Prone for diarrhea= Sp Qi issues

T= lavender swollen wet = Qi/Yang def , stagnation
P=deep hard to feel , right weaker = stagnation , Kid def? ,

Active points I cant find a single one , nothing!!!!!!

Michigan thyroid T4 18 (15-67), TT3 0.8 (1-2.5), FT 8( 8-26), FT3 2.7 (4.5-12) auto ab neg, TSH 16 (0-37) , endocrinologist read it as normal. Owner says shelties range is different and feels he is hypothyroid.

I started Liu jun zi tang with standard process thyroid support while thyroid test was was pending . He did great for 24 hour with high energy feeling normal then within 3 days he was back to being lethargic and no improvement. Acupuncture has not made any changes in energy or stiffness. His spine is very stagnant. I have tried Bu Yuan haung Wu Wan and Bu Zhong Yi Qi tang no change. Now thinking Xiao Yao San ? Mild blood/Sp tonic –Dang Gui Shao Yao San ? Could he be addisons with out the electrolyte changes .

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks Sue
Replies
by naturevet
January 4, 2010
Hi Sue,

The tongue is the key for me. It really is most consistent with either Damp obstruction of the Triple Burner (treatment = San Ren Tang) or Kidney Qi and Yang Deficiency (treatment = Rehmannia Eight).

Overall, the symptoms are more consistent with Kidney deficiency, and all the symptoms asociated with that, including hind end weakness and fear issues.

Weak Kidneys result in Blood deficiency, since Water is failing to support Wood. Anxiety and excessive dreaming, as well as vulnerability to Wind invasion (e.g. facial nerve paralysis), are consistent with Blood deficiency.

Lastly, I wonder if the low T3 literally indicates reduced hepatic blood flow, since T4 is normal, but T3 is low, and T4 to T3 conversion largely occurs in the liver. The tongue suggests, however, that the best way to tonify the Blood is through the Kidneys, so I'd try that route. Ba Wei Di Huang Wan would be my choice for the next thing to try.

In addition, homeopathic Causticum fits the Kidney deficient picture and mobility issues, and is quite specific to the facial nerve paralysis. I'd go with 30C once to twice daily.

Hope that helps you out!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply