Question Details
Magnesium Injections
by marneemadsen - January 3, 2010
Hi Steve,
A 6 yr MN Whippet I have not seen yet but has bradycardia down to 25bpm on holter, 3 second pauses with no blocks found. His HR was 160 during his echo with an occasional VPC. He has very mild mitral valve changes, mild splenomegaly, hx GI problems. He was placed on thyroid supplement in June despite a TT4 of 2.2, slightly high FT4ED and normal cTSH.
He is lethargic per client, but no known syncope.

Would the magnesium injections be an ok place to start until I can see him?

The bottle has warnings about only puncturing once...is that important?

Are you premixing the 50% saline and 50% magnesium and dispensing that way?

Thanks! Will know a lot more later.

Marnee

Replies
by naturevet
January 4, 2010
Hi Marnee,

The magnesium won't hurt, to be sure, but the bradycardia is odd.

I wouldn't worry about single punctures. They musn't have preservatives in the bottle, and so have to put that on the label. But if you swab the stopper and use a sterile syringe, you shouldn't have any worries.

I do premix the saline and magnesium and often put it in my own vial - a red top tube, to be exact. I just write the dose on the label of the tube.

Let me know what happens. Ginseng and Hawthorne both will help with the VPCs within probably a week, but may slow the atrium or accentuate any heart block (even though you don't see one). So it'll be interesting to see what pattern fits this bradycardia.

All the best in 2010!

Steve
by marneemadsen
January 5, 2010
Hey Steve,
I saw this dog today and seems like a classic Yi Guan Jian based on pts and history.

Bradycardia only when deeply resting and he has shown no obvious syncope or collapse...maybe just some Qi Def from chronic Blood Def? I feel like the sight hounds can have pretty low resting HR.
It also seems like some of the sinus tach is occuring with fright or stress and he was started on thyroid supplement with a very normal T4 (only test run)...so I think we'll wean from that once herbs on board.

Will keep you posted - let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Best,
Marnee
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply