Question Details
Progressive Ataxia And Atonic Bladder In Old Cat
by dr. rita - January 4, 2010
I saw a 15 year old cat today with progressive weakness in the hind end (now with proprioceptive deficits). The weakness began approx. 1 1/2 years ago. Today, her hind legs are hyper wrt her reflexes. Her owners have been expressing her bladder over the past 7 months. She has had recurrent episodes of hematuria. The use of NSAID's, steroids and antibiotics (oral or injectable) seem to result in diarrhea (and no real clinical gain except that the hematuria resolves). Her tongue is reddish and on the small side. Her pulse is deep and thready. Her feet are cooler relative to her body, and there is increased heat over BL 28. She seems to prefer warmer areas. Her appetite has always been good, and her thirst is not excessive according to the owner (however, her urine sg is in the 1.020 range). She had always been an easy going cat but is now becoming more irritable. My take is that what may have started as a Cold invasion is now evolving into a Heat pathogen. Rads and ultrasound have been unrewarding, an MRI has been declined. I suspect, given the progression and lack of response to Rx's, that a spinal tumor is on the differential list.

In many ways, your description of Bupleurum and Kudzu Clearing Formula seems appropriate. However, the hesitation is that if the steroids and antibiotics resulted in diarrhea, would such a cooling formula cause a similar reaction? Would you consider another formula? You have also mentioned other approaches such as homeopathy. Could I use both modalities together?

Thank you for your advice. I wish you a Happy New Year and all the best.

Rita

Replies
by naturevet
January 4, 2010
Hi Rita,

This case sounds a lot like some hyperesthesia cases I've seen that have gone on to develop more disseminated neurological issues. They have generally responded well in the past to a non-dampening diet (i.e. no carbs; home-cooked or raw preferred), and a combination of acupuncture and chiropractic. Can you find someone to help do chiropractic? It can really be helpful.

As for the Chinese diagnosis, yes, a Wind Heat invading the Tai Yang seems accurate. San Ren Tang is helpful for that, and is a good hyperesthesia formula, as well as an anti-inflammatory. It's used for tetanus in people (with a few adaptations). It's probably what I'd do, in addition to the above.

Good luck,

Steve
by dr. rita
January 7, 2010
Thanks again.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply