Question Details
Damp Dog With Large Dry Scales
by swaneysue - January 5, 2010
Huxley is a 6 year old lab mix with a 4 month history of Skin issues and lethargy

Exam

Coat mild to moderately oily feel , no strong smell
Skin has very large dry white flakes severe-covered all over. . Flakes get caught in oily coat. But they are large dry very white flakes. Skin is also thick, and he has a dull look on his face .
He is lethargic when laying around but if outside he perks up and can run around. He looks like a hypothyroid poster dog. Michigan full thyroid panel normal , Chem normal, cbc normal except mild anemia (34.4) nonregen normochrom normocytic. I even repeated the test because I could not believe it. Not itchy. Skin scrape negative and exma of flakes.
Has gas , stools ok occasional loose. No vomit
Over weight
Diggs in dirt but does not lay in it.
Drinks a lot at once and eats well
Mix of laying in cool and warm areas.
T= Pale pink with lavender center, sometimes swollen , other time not
P= deep hard to feel rolling little thin and soft.
Active Points=Bl 18, 17, 20, 22 drain 22 , tonify20 and 18 helped pulse a little. No active GB points.
Eats dry food currently on a lamb and rice diet nutro senior ( owner has 7 other dogs all older) , was on science diet naturals prior and coat was better but still large flakes. Not able to home cook or do raw.

Owner has been trying fish oil with no improvement, did show energy increase with B12 injection. For a day or two.

I started with a diet change , 4 marvels and missing link and multivit. No big change , maybe little less damp but flakes are terrible. Energy still low.
So I have trouble with this mix of damp and dry. Plenty of Qi def and damp signs , some heat and some blood def dry . Should I add mild blood tonic like Qi Bao Mei ran wan but the fish oil did not help which is usually helpful in blood def. ? I looked at Chu Shi wei ling tang but didn’t think he had enough gi signs . Could it be aidiopathic primary seborrhea disorder ? What does the B vit act like ? Thanks Sue
Replies
by marneemadsen
January 5, 2010
Hi Swaneysue,
I have been fooled by those oily coats with large flakes sometimes and finally get around to blood tonics and they go away...what about Dang Gui Shao Yao San?

mm
by naturevet
January 7, 2010
Hi Sue,

Diet is always a good place to start. What did you move towards? As you mentioned, I see Dampness and Blood Deficiency. The heat is not so prominent to me. Vitamin B12 is a Qi and Blood tonic, so its efficacy fits with your impressions.

DGSYS, as Marnee suggests, is a good place to start. Also, you may want to think of Xiao Yao San. Either one. But that's where I'd go to get things rolling, then reassess after a few weeks.

Higher protein, low starch is where I'd go with the diet.

All the best,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply