Question Details
Newbie - Need Advise
by Augerdvm - January 7, 2010
Hi all: I'm new to the forum.
Actually I'm waiting for my IVAS herbal course to arrive in the mail to start for this January.

I have a 10 yo mn DSH ( personally) that I am working up for chronic ( 1 month) unilateral nasal discharge & sneezing.

Yesterday I removed a copious amount of extremely thick, tenacious mucus from the retropharyngeal area.

There was an ulcerated area on the roof of the retropharynx ( biopsies pending).

He's otherwise healthy and no previous medical problems.

CBC was normal, however ALT & AlkP were elevated (305 & 88 resp.)

I have yet to learn the fundamentals of tongue/pulse diagnosis ( hopefully you all remember those days) etc, but from the reading I've done I am suspecting I need something to drain/transform phlegm

Could someone advise as to my best approach for this ?

Thanks and looking forward to a new and long relationship here on nphc.

Will be at NAVC next week in the herbal lectures if anyone else is there, look me up.

Thanks

Daren Auger DVM
Replies
by naturevet
January 7, 2010
Hi Daren,

We love 'newbies'. Come introduce yourself at NAVC during a break in my lectures.

As for your kitty, ulceration implies Heat. Usually the source of heat in cats is their diet, especially when there is 'phlegm'. So a general diet change to something less pro-inflammatory would be advisable. Low or no-grain and minimally or non-processed is ideal, such as home-cooked or raw.

Since the problem is relatively severe (if there is ulceration), it's probably best to start with a strong anti-inflammatory formula, in the absence of more specific guidance. Si Miao San springs to mind, particularly if the pulse feels strong and obvious and superficial to you, with little vasotone. If the pulse is more indistinct and deep, then I'd look at San Ren Tang, which can also be handy in pharyngitis and nasal concerns, but is milder in its effects.

Have a crack at assessing the cat's femoral pulse. If the pulse is at all easy to find and prominent, start with Si Miao San while you await your biopsy results.

All the best,

Steve
by Augerdvm
January 7, 2010
Thanks Steve. Will definately look you up.
The pulses are relatively easy to find. Will start with stronger combination.
by Augerdvm
January 10, 2010
Update:
culture came back positive for Pasteurella.
No evidence of neoplasia on histo. There was moderate lymphoid hyperplasia though.

Is the Si Miao San still the best bet?
by naturevet
January 11, 2010
Hi Daren,

I have one other idea, which is a formula called Pu Ji Xiao Du Yin, which is a formula developed to treat mumps. It is antimicrobial and can address lymphadenopathy. You can obtain it from Dr. Mona Boudreaux at atthherbs@aol.com.

If you have Si Miao San, I'd start there in the meantime for a couple of reasons: it has more dosage formats (granules, pills and tinctures (Kan)); and it is also antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory. It's just not specific for lymphadenopathy.

Brainwave: Hoxsey is designed for lymphadenopathy, is antimicrobial, and fits the pulse. Use it with the Si Miao San and you're set. For all these, the taste sucks, so you may have to put them in gel caps and give by pilling. Is that possible? Dr. Boudreaux has a homeopathic version of Hoxsey which is easy to give but not as potent.

All the best and good luck,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply