Question Details
Herbs For DLE
by medvet - January 8, 2010
have a little Chinese Crested mix (3 years old) with biopsy diagnosed Discoid Lupus of the nose (biopsied twice over a year to confirm d/t lack of response to any treatment). Her nose has been progressively ulcerated and essentially destroyed.

Originally her tongue was purple, red and dry with rapid, wirey deep pulses (back in March). She was started on Siler & Coix granules back then and this did not help her either.

The only thing that HAS helped is topical Tacrolimus ointment and Vitamin E as well as systemic low dose doxycycline. Now her pulse is a bit slower, but still very deep and wirey/thin. Her tongue is slightly purple/red and dry.

Any herbal suggestions?
Replies
by naturevet
January 8, 2010
Hi there,

We're looking for a skin and autoimmune formula that cools, moves and enhances peripheral circulation. My first thought of a herb that will fit that bill is Qing Ying Tang (Clear the Nutritive Decoction). It's the first thing I'd try.

For very chronic conditions, I'd expect you to maybe have to work through a sequence of formulas here, but you should be able to resolve the problem if you and the owner stick with it.

Good luck!

Steve
by healthyoptions
January 9, 2010
hi
i have found that some essential oils work well topically. melrose can be very soothing and act as protect the skin. homeopathic calendula cream is also very effective.
andrea
by
January 11, 2010
I have been treating a case for several months, and it has resolved 85%. I started with XCHT, as there were active GB points, and was able to taper off prednisone completely. However, the dog relapsed, so I resumed pred at an anti-inflammatory dose, XCHT (the NP formula is important)with Si Miao San aas the tongue was red and wet, and I assumed that a cause for the relapse was residual Damp Heat. The dog is now off pred again after 3 months, and is on maintenance levels of XCHT and SMS. I will taper further at the next recheck, probably SMS only for a few months and then go from there.
Jodi
by medvet
January 19, 2010
We have ordered some Qing Ying Tang for her and have started the Calendula cream. She was on Pred at one time (back at the very beginning of her diagnosis) but in addition to being one of those dogs that experiences all the horrible side effects immediately, it did not improve her condition at all, so it was discontinued. Will keep you posted. Thank you again!

Lisa
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply