Question Details
Ulcerations In Post-op Site And Anxiety
by ericahawker - January 11, 2010
So, I finally decided to tackle my own dog's issues (which are many) and to work some TCM magic on him.

Derby is a 11 yr old MN Terrier mix (27 lbs) that has a history of epileptic seizures since the age of 18 mths that have been well-controlled with potassium bromide. He has always been an anxious dog and has noise sensitivity to high pitched beeps and will shake, tremble and hide. He also will occasionally just have these anxious episodes about once a month with no apparent cause that will last about 20 mins or so. Derby is overall skittish and he will yelp if touched the wrong way, etc.

In September 2007, he had a lump on his right thorax that was biopsied and came back as severe panniculitis, secondary to vx rxn.

He developed a low grade neurofibrosarcoma in the right shoulder in June 08--excised completely.

Sept 09 I found a small dermal mass over the right hip. He tends to be a thinner dog and I took wide sx margins due to his previous hx and removed all of the SQ fat over the hip. Ever since sx he has intermittently licked at the incision and created ulcers that are dime sized and take about 2 weeks to granulate in. It will be healed for a month or so, then he starts licking again.

Overall he has a low to average appetite. Normal thirst. Low activity level. Sleeps on couch, blankets and at night under the bed. Loves lying in the sun yr round. Normal bowel movements BID--brown, firm. Occasionally dreams. Has to be crated when left otherwise he will urinate on the wall, and will vocalize when I leave. More frequent shaking episodes recently.

Tongue is pink, slightly red. Pulse is deep, toned. I have also found several very small dermal nodules on his left forelimb and rihtt stifle. Small skin tag on head and lower eyelids. Past year he has had small amt eyelid discharge crusted in medial canthus daily--never had this before.

I think many of his anxiety signs point to blood deficiency, but I think he most likely has stasis at the surgical site that is creating inflammation and pain. Would the trembling indicate internal wind along with the seizures? I would think that since he is anxious when trembling that it is more of a blood defic.

So, I want to clear heat and move and tonify blood with Derby. Xue Yu Tang seems appropriate for the ulcerations, but Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang seems also suited to address the anxiety and the ulcerations.

Thanks for any help!
Erica

Replies
by ericahawker
January 12, 2010
Forgot to mention in the post that the biopsy on the mass on the right hip came back as nodular fascitis--completely excised but mild inflamm extended to the margins.

Thanks!!
Erica
by naturevet
January 12, 2010
Hi Erica,

Both formulas are decent choices. If the tongue is moist, then I'd use Xue Yu Tang as it is less potentially Dampening than XFZYT.

One other possibility is Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin. It is very good for promoting wound healing, and combats Phlegm and Damp. Given that many benign lumps (eg. skin tags) qualify as Phlegm, it may be an even better choice. But all three formulas have merit, so it may come down to whatever you have on your shelf. Watch for Damp signs with XFZYT, though.

Steve

P.S. Your Starbucks card came today. Thanks so much for thinking of me!
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply