Question Details
Phlegmy Cough
by kirstenwill - January 12, 2010
I haven't written in awhile, but I have a real 'stumper' here and need some guidance. I am seeing an almost 6-year-old, female, spayed, Wheaton Terrier who has had a chronic cough with frequent expectorations of white phlegm, especially after rising from a long recumbancy. "Sandy" has had this problem since puppy-hood and was even worked up for ciliary dyskinesis at UC Davis. The results were inconclusive. When the cough gets particularly bad, she responds well to a course of antibiotics (Clavamox) but the problem flares up again within 2 to 8 weeks after finishing the meds.
Personality-wise, she needs routine and will urinate/defecate in house if schedule or household is upset. She has no fears, seeks cool hard surfaces. Very energetic and friendly. Cough not exacerbated by activity. On PE had slightly pale tongue and pulse went from slippery to wiry at my two acupuncture appts with her.
After the first appt, I had o switch to a hypoallergenic kibble, start essential fatty acids and probiotics. After second tx (there had been no change in cough) I started her on Er Chen Tang and went to have San Zi Yang Qi Tang custom formulated by East Coast Herbs, only to be told that the 'Brasica" component was no longer available. Do you have an idea of an alternative source for this formula and am I on the right track with these herbal combos?

Thanks,
Sincerely,
Kirsten Williams, DVM

Replies
by naturevet
January 12, 2010
Hi Kirsten,

I'd be curious to see if giving San Ren Tang would help. It's quite good for phlegmy coughs. It also disperses pathogenic Winds, which this may be given the response to antibiotics. The mood also supports a Metal Excess, since insecurity (and the subsequent need to mark) are a sign the animal seeks to 'establish boundaries', which is very consistent with the Metal personality type.

I'd give that a try rather than worrying about the Brassica additives. The tolerance of antibiotics suggests this is a Heat condition. The additional herbs you were thinking of may thus be problematic, given their spicy nature.

Hope that helps,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply