Question Details
Possible Dementia
by swaneysue - January 14, 2010
Chloe, 14 year old cocker span, female

Problem list : progressive dementia , spinal spondylosis with rear end weakness and stiffness trouble getting up

Panting , restlessness with drinking freq small sips worse at night, no obvious cool seeking or heat seeking, staring at walls , confused, panic attacks, withdrawn not participating with family. Urine and stool accidents. Previous history of aggression and biting now not aggressive in situations where she normally would have been.

Stiffness (very sig) trouble getting up after laying down gets better as goes.( Blood stagnation) If cant get up can panic.

Appetite up and down-picky

T=lavender with fine cracks, small phlegm lines, fold down middle tonugue with knotch at tip (stagnation, some phlem, possible heart disturbance-fold and knotch- no evidence of ht disease at this point clinically)
P= Jumps up hits finger quickly feels thin here dissapear fast and then as dissapears is rolling but disappears easily with pressure. ( Qi Def , Yin Def )
Very figity during exam hard to see what improved pulse, pooping and stepping in it too.

Active pt BL 18, 17 ( blood signs)

Treatments Chiropractic, acupuncture herbs , homeopathy and physical therapy
No sig improvmetnts with movement with any modality-reg vet also tried nsaids and tramadol with no change . Shen Tong Zu Yu Tang also not help.

Thought Yin def with Qi def and some phlegm. ? IF phlegm misting mind .

Has been on Tian Wan Bu Xin Wan and APR nourshing with no improvements.
Is on Arnica Montana and Rhus Tox for body. When gets groomed have used Mona’s P and A compound to calm when gets up set, helps little,

Last year vet in Arizona tried Stasis in mansion of mind from jing tang –Brain tumor , phlegm mist mind type formula not help. Also Cholodin was tried.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Sue
Replies
by naturevet
January 15, 2010
Hi Sue

I guess the only other rock you haven't turned over is Wind dispersal. It can block the circulation of Qi and Blood to the outer body and peripheral structures, which includes the head. I've had good luck with Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang in cases like this, but if the pulse feels more slippery, then I'd think of Yi Yi Ren Tang as well.

I'd try one of those two options first and see how it goes. Also try Gingko simultaneously to improve cerebral blood flow and cognition, as well as for its spasm relieving properties.

All the best,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply