Question Details
Herbal Therapy
by ahdvm - January 14, 2010
Hi Steve:

I have a 10 year old FS terrier mix who first presented 1 month ago for limping/weakness in the hindlimbs no hx of trauma.

PE: WNL except luxating patell R hind, pain on flexion of R carpus, crepitus of L carpus, focul hyperpathia at TL junction.

Abdominal U/S: cyst in pancreas, mild hyperechoic liver otherwise WNL

CBC: WNL

She is currently on Pred 5 mg BID and owner has seen some improvement.

She was referred to me for acupuncture treatment. On presentatio she was very anxious and timid, panting excessively. Her tongue was very red with no coating and seemed to have normal moisture. Her femoral pulse was thin superficially and widens with more depth. Forceful pulse at all depths. Semi-dull haircoat with white flakes on skin. A small, soft SQ mass on R flank. Painful on palpation of TL region. According to the owner, the patient always has to be next to her at home and has a history of vomiting regularly if not taking famotidine. And she seems to be more painful at night around 6-7 pm.

I was thinking that she has heat based upon the vomiting and red tongue as well as stasis due to the mass and joint pain, calling for an herb that moves and clears heat.

I was hoping for some help in tying all of the signs together and hoping you could recommend an herbal therapy.

Thanks so much.
Arielle Herndobler
Replies
by naturevet
January 15, 2010
Hi Arielle,

I think you've tied things together well. Is the lameness in the same leg with the luxating patella? If so, then your efforts should be focused (so far as resolving the lameness is concerned) in the L-S and S-I region. Fixations and discomfort here can interfere with free gluteal movement, which animals need to compensate for their own patellar luxations. They do this by changing the amount of internal or external rotation of the affected leg, which happens at the coxofemoral joint.

An important part of resolving that issue would be chiropractic, which can be directed at the T-L junction as well. Do you have access to someone? Anyone who does massage and can loosen things up for you, or evaluate the region?

I feel like once any fixations are out of there, the pulse will become thin, and the animal will revert to a clear Yin deficiency picture. If so, Yi Guan Jian would fit well. The solitary (lipoma?) is not enough to convince me the dog is Damp, and the rest of your description is one of dryness and Empty Heat (dander, dull coat, no coating on tongue, anxiety). Yi Guan Jian also has the obscure indications in some texts of hip pain, which would fit your scenario even better, although no explanation is offered for that indication.

Otherwise, if you have no chiropractic access, then I'd start with Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang. It's musculoskeletal effects are powerful and it also addresses anxiety and Yin deficiency.

I hope one of those two works for you.

Steve

Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply