Question Details
ADR Cat Following Vaccination
by tradcliffe - January 17, 2010
I saw a 10 yo FS cat for a general check up and FVRCP vaccine on Oct.13/09. She was 3 kg at the time which was lean but ideal BCS for her. She seemed quite healthy at the time except for tapeworms and mild gingivitis. 2 weeks later, she stopped eating and became lethargic. On Nov.6 her temp was 38.6, she had lost 0.5 kg, looked unwell and dehydrated. Blood work including FeLV/FIV was normal. On CBC tech noticed activated lymphocytes. I put her on IV fluids overnight,we gave her mirtazipine and tube fed Recovery. She ate overnight, so was sent home the ext day (I did not see her). She continued to eat at home, but did not return to normal. I saw her again on Jan.14 and she is down to 1.8 kg, although owner says she is still eating. She vomits mucus 1-2 times weekly she is weak but not as lethargic as in Nov. She is heat seeking, normal BMs and urination. Her feet and ears are cool, nails and hair are not growing, and she has lost her voice. She acts hungry, I suspect she is eating less than owner thinks. Temp was 39.2 Bloodwork shows mild anemia - Hct 28.3 (30-45) was 37 in Nov. BUN and Creat are decreased (4.4, 45), T4 is 17. Tongue was difficult to evaluate, but was not red, pulse was thin and weak. Now, I am sure this is related to the vaccine, but she seems deficient. Is this a deficient heat? I started her on Wei Ling Tang to support her spleen, but I know you shouldn't tonify an excess. Can I use Qing Ying Tang in this cat? Owners can get Spleen support tabs into cat, and she was eating quite well over the weekend. What are your thoughts here? Can I try prednisolone until I get the QYT?

Thanks,
Tracy
Replies
by naturevet
January 19, 2010
Hi Tracy,

It's always important to treat what you see, which you've done with your choice of Wei Ling Tang. Given how this played out, I would wonder if a latent GI inflammatory process was fanned to life, by the general immune stimulating effects of the vaccine. If so, the anti-inflammatory effects of WLT (anti-Damp effects) seem very appropriate, and I'd just see what happens with her, especially if there are signs of early improvement.

A low level of GI inflammation is equivalent in Chinese medicine to an invasion of the Wei Qi, since Wei Qi is considered to line and protect the GI as well as the skin.
Vaccines often act as invading pathogens, as you know. Qing Ying Tang expels very deeply penetrated pathogens, but sometimes they remain relatively superficially located in the Wei Qi layer. In those cases, we might eventually use 'expelling' formulas coupled with herbs that tonify the Wei Qi to resolve the problem and protect from further recurrence. An example might be Yu Ping Feng San (Jade Wind Screen Combination), Dang Gui Yin Zi (Dang Gui Beverage), and Gui Pi Tang (Restore the Spleen Combination).

All of these have a fairly strong immune enhancing effect, however, so we would do well to wait before we used them until the GI inflammation looks completely resolved. We can then use them to clean up the situation and fortify the cat against future problems.

Hopefully this proves good advice. Let us know how it goes,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply