Question Details
Du Huo Ji Sheng Aggravating Kidney Disease?
by amymatthews - January 18, 2010
Hello Steve,

I see a 10 year old FS labrador with early kidney failure and severe hip arthritis (left). She had worsened in the cold weather, so I started her on Du Huo Ji Sheng (this was in addition to Rehmannia Six) and added moxa. She felt great and was moving well for a week, then had an acute worsening of her kidney disease (wouldn't drink water) and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (perhaps secondary, but she improved dramatically with thyroid hormone supplementation).

Could DHJS aggravate kidney disease?

Thanks so much, just trying to determine if I should have her stop the DHJS.

Amy
Replies
by naturevet
January 19, 2010
Hi Amy,

The only type of renal failure that would be aggravated by DHJST is one where the animal is very Damp or has Stasis in the middle burner. It doesn't seem you've seen much evidence of that.

Generally, animals that respond well to thyroid hormone supplementation are 'deficient' and not aggravated by tonics like DHJST. I think it's likely that DHJST wasn't what she needed - thyroid hormone was - and so the formula was insufficient to prevent a worsening that would probably have happened anyway.

Some research suggests that Rehmannia can block T4 to T3 conversion. I've never seen this in dogs, but it would be a possible explanation for the dramatic improvement if the herbs were discontinued at the same time as the thyroid hormone started.

Sorry I can't give you a more satisfying answer than that. Short answer: I think you were fine to try those herbs, and I don't see them as directly aggravating the renal failure.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply