Question Details
Founder In Horse
by mikemesley - January 18, 2010
Overweight horse - has had laminitis this spring for the first time ever. O is a challenge - doesn't quite take the "minimal feeding" direction well and I think this is the cause of repetitive bouts of laminitis over past months. Is doing most things as directed - I think just volume of supplementary food is too high.

From TCm perspective is a no-brainer. Dampness and Heat - presumably diet related. Pulse huge and slippery. No faecal changes. Appetite excellent. Cooling PBZ helps pain and no GIT side effects seen yet.

Just really want to know if any formulas have a history in your hands or any others of work in laminitis? SMs sprung to mind - how about XFHMY, LDXGT(or EMS). Any others that you know of.

Thanks very much,

Mike
Replies
by naturevet
January 19, 2010
Hi Mike,

To manage the acute inflamation and to help reverse some of the metabolic effects of insulin resistance, I'd use Si Miao San. Phenylbutazone is fine to use at the same time. Long term, I'd consider Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin (with or without continued SMS, but with PBZ only as needed) to finish cleaning up the inflammation.

Barbara will soon be able to stock SMS and XFHMY, just to name a few, in bulk size. Let her know if you'd like her to order them.

Have a great day,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply