Question Details
Settling Liver & Extinguishing Wind
by medvet - January 19, 2010
Well, it appears I have another interesting case this week. 6 year old M/N Beagle-Shepherd Mix with a history of non-specific abdominal discomfort/costal pain ~5 mos. ago, shortly thereafter he experienced acute onset of facial nerve paralysis, originally only on the left. He also has a history of yeast otitis which was highly responsive to a food change--he now eats a Venison and Potato commercial diet and raw fresh vegetables, no grains.

I have not seen this dog since 5 months ago and now his facial nerve paralysis is bilateral, though still worse on the left side. The owner reports that he is best in the morning (always waking up and wanting to be fed at 4:30-5 a.m.) and that his lip droop worsens as the day wears on.

He has intermittent constipation, which seems to improve the more he is exercised. He has occasional clear nasal drip, is playful at home with a good appetite. He likes to be touched over his back and enjoys rolling onto his back in the grass but does not like his rear legs touched. He is extremely sensitive and will try to bite anytime I try to do anything more than acupressure over his rear gall bladder points.

His head and back radiate heat, esp. at GV 17-20, BL 18/19 and over GB 29 & 34 as well as BL 40. His tongue is red to red-purple and has not TC. His pulse is VERY deep and weak (though definitely stronger on the LEFT side), and more slippery than wirey.

The owner reports that he enjoys laying in the sun and on soft surfaces (bed, couch, pillows) at home.

He is a dog that appears friendly, tail wagging and seeking attention in the room, but hides and is prone to fear biting anyone.

Would Zhen Gan Xi Feng Tan be an appropriate herbal formula for him or should I start with something milder like Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin?

Thanks for your input!

Lisa
Replies
by naturevet
January 19, 2010
Hi Lisa,

I find myself wondering about Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang for this dog (Ginseng and Astragalus Combination). The GV points and Liver points are also consistent with raising Qi, and not just extinguishing internal Wind. the feeble deep pulse fits that as well. Certainly the timidity and aggression fit a Liver problem, but once again more of a deficiency.

Liver Blood deficiency with secondary Qi stagnation and abdominal pain is a common sequela of Spleen Qi Sinking, treated by BZYQT. At the same time as it tonifies the Liver and smoothes the flow of Qi, it tonifies the Qi of the Lung and the Spleen. The dog is at his best when Lung Qi is highest, and poorest as the day progresses (classic for Qi deficiency). Lastly, it bolsters Wei Qi in particular, which can help conquer an invading pathogen. Facial paralysis is often considered an external Wind invasion.

So, putting it altogether, your dog shows signs of Liver Blood deficiency and Liver Qi stagnation; Qi deficiency; and Wind invasion from perhaps Wei Qi deficiency. The Stomach channel might be especially affected by the pathogen, given that it is responsible for most of the face musculature. BZYQT tonifies the Liver, boosts the Qi, moves the Qi, vents pathogens from the Stomach channel and tonifies the Wei Qi to prevent further invasion. All told, it's what I'd start with.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply