Question Details
Protein Losing Enteropathy
by swaneysue - January 22, 2010
Hi steve,
Annie is a 12 year old with a 1 year history of protein losing enteropathy .
She has done well with diet change , 4 marvels and pred eod 5 mg ½.

Last week abdomen bloat with ascites, the reg vet increased the pred to 20 mg bid (yeikes) then ½ bid. I saw here yesterday.
Appetite good , increase panting and drink with pred increase ( indicating Damp)
No diarrhea , but stinky gas and rumbling gi
Energy good
Feels warm to touch on belly , nose and ears cool,
T=lavender with a little red ( stagnation/heat)
P= confined, wiry with little roll, it jumps up quick strikes middle position and disappears quick . I get stagnation and heat from this but what does the jumping up mean –heat ? yang rising ?

Actve points not big , Liver 13 most active and sedating only thing that made the pulse relax and soften.

So based on that I added Xiao Yao San (Kans Free and easy wanderer)

What do you think ? any other ideas . Will you give me your assessment of the pulse ?
Thanks Sue
Replies
by naturevet
January 23, 2010
Hi Sue,

The tongue indicates heat and stasis. When a pulse jumps up like that then vanishes, I call that 'slapping' and interpret it the same way as 'slippery' or 'rolling' - ie. the animal is Damp. Sedating LV 13 suggests Damp, too, although it can also relieve Liver Qi stagnation causing Spleen deficiency (which XYS treats). Ascites is a Damp symptom, too. It can also indicate a Triple Burner obstruction by Damp as well, so one option is to use SRT with the SMS and see if that helps the situation (if you don't get anywhere with XYS).

Overall, if things were going well, and then they weren't, I'd immediately zero in on diet in the following ways:
-Quadruple check there's been no change in the dog's diet in the least from what you last recommended
-Rule out a genuine food allergy as opposed to the usual generic inflammatory state that most animals suffer from
-Go further with the diet (e.g. if the diet was on EVO or Orijen, move to home-cooked or raw; if the dog was on home-cooked, move to raw)
Hopefully that's constructive advice, or failing that, the Xiao Yao San works well.

Good luck,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply