Question Details
Rough Collie With Sarcoptic Mange?
by amymatthews - January 23, 2010
Hello!

I have seen several rough collies (all three male) with poor coat quality, early onset of arthritis (by 4-6 years of age), and vague gi symptoms. I don't know what it is, but am concerned about some immune deficiency....

This particular one is about 6, developed abrupt onset of severe pruritis last autumn, has had extensive workups and either has atopy (fits the biopsy results) or sarcoptic mange (fits the history better). He gets severely itchy (scratches himself raw) after Revolution is applied, but doesnt seem to get better (3rd application was just as hard on him as the first). When pressed, one of the dermatologists on VIN admitted to seeing several rough collies with sarcoptes who required SIX treatments of Revolution (rather than the usual three).

I'm wondering whether I could give this guy some constitutional support. His tongue is pale pink, with a thin moist white coat. His pulse is somewhat weak. The skin appears fairly calm (though the owner says sometimes it is quite pink) except for the abrasions. He does have weakness in his hindquarters that makes me suspicious of hindlimb arthritis (though is stoic on orthopedic exam), neuro is normal.

Any thoughts? He is a quiet sweet boy except for the itching. My main thought was Jade Screen, but thought there might be something more sophisticated that could be considered.... :)

Thanks as always,
Amy
Replies
by naturevet
January 24, 2010
Hi Amy,

If it's your sense that the immune system needs beefing up, rather than inflammation controlled, in a dog with dermatitis, then the formula that has the most research support behind it is Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang. I believe the herb certification course offered by IVAS and CIVT includes the studies on the formula, but you could also ask Dr. Barbara Fougere more about it (her address is in 'Contact Us').

I guess my other thought is just to try Si Wu Xiao Feng Yin. It fits the itch, weak pulse, pale to normal tongue, and mild symptomology. It's also a bit more immune modulating, rather than immune stimulating.

Those are my two ideas. Do rough-coated collies get dermatomyositis, or is that just Shelties? My only other thought....

Steve
by amymatthews
June 13, 2010
Never did figure out this patient. Herbs did not make a difference. He had no other signs of dermatomyositis, though that was a good thought. He eventually moved on, and I hope found the solution he needed. I'm kindof worried that he might have had cutaneous lymphoma, given the lack of response to anything that was tried for him, from my arsenal and from the dermatologist.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!

Amy
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply