Question Details
Young Collie
by lsargent - January 24, 2010
I examined a ~2 y/o F/S blue merle rough coated collie yesterday with micro-ophthalmia, cow hocks and recurrent UTI's for a history. The UTI's are not showing signs of heat, but they present with a perivulvular rash due to leaking per owner. The is no increased frequency, straining, blood or smell. Her RDVM has her taking DES, a compounded estrogen and Proin because of the UTI's which are blamed on the recessed vulva and heavy coat-we are in south Florida. The owners are complaining of sudden weight gain, 2# in 2 weeks and wanting to get rid of the strong medications for their pet.

Her tongue is lavender but thin, she is lethargic-slept through almost the whole consult, pulses are slow and gently press against the finger but bilaterally symmetrical.

While my mind screams Spleen Qi deficiency and hypothyroid, have youever heard of a dog being placed on these meds at such an early age? Previously she was on a raw food diet and did well but was changed to Iam's Low Residue due to the urinary issues.

The owners were happy to hear to return to a raw diet, but I was wondering if placing on Wei Ling Tang would help?

Thank you,

Lois
Replies
by naturevet
January 25, 2010
Hi Lois,

Yes, I would think of WLT or, better yet for more overt epithelial inflammation, San Ren Tang. The classic tongue for SRT is lavender, and pulses are generally deeper and toned (i.e. lift the finger).

From a TCM perspective, DES is contraindicated in Damp animals, which the inexorable weight gain suggests.

I don't see a lot of truly hypothyroid dogs, but it's prudent to do the lab work. I suspect the dog is just REALLY Damp, at which point cognition can be impaired.

Hope that helps,

Steve
by lsargent
January 25, 2010
Thanks, Steve, I'll keep you posted.

Lois
by lsargent
January 27, 2010
The dog's urine is a pH of 8, don't know if any more than a dip stick was performed-but will San Ren Tang affect the pH of the urine making it more acid? Getting her back on a raw diet will probably help as well.

Thanks,
Lois
by naturevet
January 28, 2010
Raw diets definitely promote urinary acidity. San Ren Tang doesn't seem to, except perhaps to reverse alkalinity associated with inflammation. Hydrangea and Eupatorium is a strong urinary acidifier and can be used with SRT to further reduce inflammation and pain.

All the best,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply