Question Details
Mastiff Toes
by allenw - January 27, 2010
hi steve, penny is a 20 month old mastiff who stepped on something several monthes ago, ended up with a nasty local infection that eventually ruptured the palmar digital tendon on her front right. it appears to have resolved excepting for the toe sticks out straight. she has recently become lame on that leg again. owner had an othopod look at it, x/r showed no boney changes but the shaft of p2 & p3 palpate very irregular. nsf on adjacent lnn. according to owner this is not an uncommon problem with mastiffs and especially this line. my exam confirmed all this, dog in good flesh, very friendly (which is good since she's at 220 lbs), mild lameness on r fore, tongue small and lavender, pulse deep and soft/slippery. the blood panel only showed hypocalcemia of 8.1 (8.9 - 11.4). the owner thinks this is a circulatory issue and indeed the carpal and tarsal pulses are difficult to locate. the owner is interested in trying a tcm treatment aimed at enhancing peripheral circulation.
thank you for your help.
Replies
by naturevet
January 28, 2010
Hi there,

If the inflammation seems resolved, then my favourite formula for improving circulation through the region is Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang (Ginseng and Astragalus). If it is a circulatory problem, or if inflammation is present at a very low level only, the BZYQT is my top recommendation. It should make the pulse stronger and the tongue less lavender.

Hope that helps,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply