Question Details
Hawthorn Compound
by Lauren Chattigre - February 2, 2010
Hey Steve...I read about the Hawthorn Compound from Herbalist & Alchemist in your book for HCM. They don't list it on their site; there are two formulas listed:

Cardio Calmpound (LHC)
Supports Cardio-vascular Health*
Contains: Olive leaf (Olea europea), Hawthorn fruit, leaf and flower (Crataegus monogyna), Linden flower (Tilea spp.), fresh Motherwort herb (Leonurus cardiaca), European Mistletoe (Viscum alba)
...and...
Healthy Heart Compound (HWC)
Supports Cardiovascular System*
Contains: Hawthorn fruit, leaf and flower (Crataegus monogyna), Night Blooming Cereus stem (Selenicereus grandiflorus), Tienchi Ginseng root (Panax notoginseng), Prickly Ash bark (Zanthoxylum americanum), Ginkgo leaf (Ginkgo bilbola).

Would either of these be appropriate for HCM? I've got a patient I've for now just started on Hawthorn single herb. Thanks!
Replies
by naturevet
February 2, 2010
Hi Lauren,

Myself...I just used the single herb, like you, and got good results.

Ginseng and Hawthorn both show benefits in ventricular tachyarrhythmias according to pubmed, while Prickly Ash and Gingko should support peripheral circulation.

The first formula is a more traditional one (it looks like a combination I proposed in my Master's thesis that I prepared while in Oregon...hmmmmm!). Anyway, it's based on seventeenth through nineteenth century herbal traditions. It's main benefit over the second one should be that it is calming. I would expect the Ginseng one to make animals potentially agitated, so watch for that as the main side effect. Night blooming cereus I proposed as potentially a specific for HCM because of its reptuation for treating patients that feel like they have a tight band around their heart.

So either may help. If the animal gets excited on number 2, try number 1. My successes, however, were with straight Hawthorne.

Steve
by Lauren Chattigre
February 5, 2010
Thanks!!
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply