Question Details
Renal Dysplasia In Dobe Puppies
by
Two 6 minth dobe pups, one red and one black and tan. Presented with congeenital renal dysplasia which is a fatal glomersclerosis with thickening via collagen deposition and fibrosis in the basement membrane. Seen in collecting ducts, tubules and glomeruli; These pups already have elevated BUN's, nonregenerative anemia, elevation in creatinine, and bit debatable on phophorus as still growing. both have extremely dry coats, poor body condition, bounding superficial pulses, ted tongues with very red end of tongue, not just the "tip". Pulses nonextinquishable. INteresting both alread heve tartar building up on upper PM and molare (interesting to me at least). Shy pups but kennel dogs. Have been adopted to vet students and will be heart breakers as this is rare, but so far always progressive fatal disease. Thank you for your help...
Replies
by naturevet
February 4, 2010
Hi Donna,

Sorry to hear about your heartbreaker case. I have a couple of suggestions, and would probably use them together. The deep wiry pulses suggest an excess condition, but the symptomology otherwise matches a deficient condition. So we may have both going on.

Minor Bupleurum inhibits renal inflammation and has been useful in controlling some of these cases. Rehmannia has also shown specific activity in inhibiting renal fibrosis, but we dare not use it alone given those pulses. As for the form of Rehmannia, I'd probably go with Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan, given the red tongues and renal inflammation (leading to fibrosis).

So...Minor Bupleurum and Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan used together. I'd use Minor Bupleurum with Qin Jiao (large leaf Gentian) added. Kan makes a formula (which Mona Boudreaux at atthherbs@aol.com can supply) called Benefit Hips and Knees, which is the right Minor Bupleurum recipe you need, complete with Qin Jiao. They also have liquid versions of ZBDHW. So it might be easier to dose them given their small size and presumed inappetance.

I hope this helps. You've got a shot at it. I'd give it a try. The only other possibility is if they are Damp (I use acupuncture points to sort the dry from the Damp). Given the dry coat, I'm assuming they're dry and hot.

Hope that helps,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply