Question Details
TCM For Chondropython
by cwilsondvm - February 4, 2010
One of my dog clients asked me to help him with his snake, a 5 yo chondropython, who has had a recurring abscess on his cheek twice in about a year. It has been treated with antibiotics twice and returned. I have actually been injecting it with ozone and we seem to
be making slow progress. I have never used herbs in a snake before and wondered if you might have some insight. I thought about using yunan payao topically like you might in a cat now that the abscess is
open and draining. I also have considered circling the dragon, and as this really starts to heal I can do that. I don't have any references for snake points from IVAS that I can locate.

Replies
by cwilsondvm
February 4, 2010
Reply from S. Marsden:

You can consider Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin (Kan sells it as Sublime Joint Formula), which is quite a good abscess treatment. It can even be applied topically to wound, if you prefer not to use it orally, but generally herbs are well tolerated by reptiles. For topical use, I'd use the Natural Path powdered version. You could mix it with a little water
to create a thin paste that you can place into the cavity. For oral use, the liquid made by Kan might be easier.

Yunnan Bai Yao is okay for bleeding, but won't address infection or prevent recurrence.

Some homeopathics may help, such as Silicea (painless) and Hepar Sulph (very painful).

by cwilsondvm
February 4, 2010
Just FYI, Steve asked me to put this conversation up on the forum here. I thought I would let you know I decided to wait a bit longer on herbs for now, we can always add them later. I don't expect anything to happen quickly with a snake one way or the other. The abscess continues to improve having had 5 ozone treatments so far in about a month's time. I did start Acupuncture this week. I used ST 6 on the affected side to start, and the snake seemed to relax and enjoy the treatment. I will probably do more next week. I am thinking ST 6 bilaterally, Yintang, GV 14? Any thoughts on where the LI meridian would be on a snake?

Christine
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply