Question Details
Stiff Lab With Skin Issue
by LJH - February 6, 2010
Hi Steve,
I'm wondering where to go next with a 13 yr F(S) Lab x. She initially presented for lethargy, alopecia/ dry, thin haircoat and extreme pruritis in early fall. Her tongue was pale,rapid weak wiry pulse but alot of Damp Heat signs as well(overweight, lipomas/ papillomas, Hx otitis,snoring, large flake dandruff, greasy coat,hyperpigment and lichenification ventrally,With extreme itch,hair dryness and weak wiry pulse I went with Qing Ying Tang and low carb diet but thought underlying SP Qi issues and the Damp Heat would need addressing. She stopped itching, energy improved,skin looked good, hair grew in well. Now last 2 weeks vomitted bile or food a few times,more stiff getting up, improves with mild exercise then worsens. Hair looking drier and"dusty"(curly over shoulders),but feels a bit greasy .Normal bloodwork with T4.Seems mix of Blood def/Stasis and Damp Heat. Tongue pale, pulse a bit weak, sl. slippery.Wondered if Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin would address Sp Qi/Damp and Blood def.enough, or if a Damp Heat formula more appropriate and blood def would improve by supporting Sp. Pulse maybe a bit slippery/deep for Si Miao San? San Ren? Dang Gui Shao Yao San? Any thoughts would be appreciated.Thanks,
Llewanda
Replies
by naturevet
February 7, 2010
Hi Llewanda,

My growing sense of animals that respond to Qing Ying Tang is that they have almost an additional layer of pathology beyond that of typical Damp Heat, whether due to genetics, chronicity, or residual effects of vaccine adjuvants. Qing Ying Tang removes this layer, but as you said, the Damp Heat layer will still persist. So seeing the residual GI signs doesn’t surprise us, suggesting benefits of formulas like SRT and SMS, as you suggested.

No question, too, that the pain pattern exhibits Blood stasis – in western terms, poor peripheral circulation, but a residually easy tendency to an excessive inflammatory response to slight trauma. So we know the formula needs to be strong in the inflammation department, but also probably help with peripheral circulation in general.

Putting that altogether, Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin sounds like a good choice, but doesn’t quite have the digestive effect you need. So you’re probably looking at pairing it with Si Miao San. The overall influence should be what you’re looking for.

On the other hand, if we’re talking about having to use two formulas anyway, maybe we could just modify SMS. The dog has shown good tolerance of moistening herbs, like QYT, so it could certainly handle some Dang Gui mixed into the SMS. So that’s my second suggestion. But if you’ve got the above two on your shelf, it may be easier just to start with them.

Hope that helps,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply