Question Details
Dermatitis Doggy
by landauvet - May 15, 2009
Reeses 2.5 year old Shepherd mix
P/c dermatitis to ears, tail base, face and perineum since a pup. Rarely red or creating sores. Prone to constipation which responds to psyllium.
High level of anxiety and agitation, very active dreamer. Has been on cod liver oil off and on with no noticeable change to coat quality or itch. Pulse: deep and strong
Tongue: red, dry, swollen and slightly lavender. Bl-14 was very warm and was sedated.
Sp-6 tonified
I diagnosed this dog as blood deficient with wind and prescribed Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang very wrongly.
Within 24 hours, Reeses was extremely itchy with bright red hot ears. I told the owner that I would switch up the herbs to get control of the problem, sooooo...
I was thinking that since a blood mover that moves blood to the surface and upwards made this dog worse, I should think about a cooling formula. This dog does not enjoy warmth,has no soft stools, and did not get oily coat from efa supplementation. Can I still consider this dog to be blood deficient and use Qing Ying Tang?
Did the XFZYT increase the itch due to the upward and outward nature of the formula?
Thanks,
Kevin Landau
Replies
by naturevet
May 16, 2009
Hi Kevin,

That's an interesting reaction to XFZYT and one I wouldn't have anticipated myself. Unless the dog has Damp Heat tendencies. That's really the only explanation I can think of in terms of a way XFZYT could add to the Yang of the dog like that, since it is otherwise a mildly cooling formula.

How hot were the paws?Can you get the dog back to check its feet? That could provide us some guidance on what to do next.

If the paws were coolish, I'd go with Qing Ying Tang as you suggest. It should be safe at that point, since the presence of 'overheating' due to impaired peripheral circulation would be confirmed.

If the paws were hot, I'd temporarily ignore the pulse and try something more aggressively cooling like Hoxsey or modified Long Dan Xie Gan Tang. This tells you there is no deficiency and that, despite the pulse you felt, peripheral circulation is abundant. In such a case, an aggressive anti-inflammatory effect is needed to pull blood from the surface of the body.

If the owner can't come in again to have the paws checked, I'd at least have them make their best guess and let you know over the phone. You can see it can be a simple test, yet provide useful guidance.

Hope that helps!

Steve

by landauvet
May 16, 2009
How is the LDXGT modified?
Kevin
by landauvet
May 16, 2009
Paws are very hot on the paw pads.
Kevin
by naturevet
May 16, 2009
Okay, in that case, I would go with modified Long Dan Xie Gan Tang, also sold as Long Dan Er Miao San by K'an. If you're buying granular extracts from Natural Path and order modified LDXGT, we'll know what you mean. Basically the formula has half of Si Miao San added to protect the Spleen while enhancing Heat clearing effects. The other herbs help the formula do a better job treating the skin. They 'expel Wind Damp Heat' to relieve itch and dermatitis.

I'd try it out and see what happens,

Steve
by landauvet
May 17, 2009
The owner is using the unmodified for now. I will order the modified and switch her over. Should I have her mix in Si Miao San?
Thanks.
Kevin
by naturevet
May 17, 2009
I guess for now, yes. Not much improvement in the skin will happen until the Wind expellers are in the mix, but you may be able to get the animal at least cooled off somewhat, and lower the itch that way.

S
by landauvet
May 31, 2009
Hi Steve,
Reeses started on the modified LDXGT four days ago. She is now taking the 1/2 tsp 2x daily (weighing 40 lbs). Over the weekend she developed a hot spot around her anus. I just talked with the owner. Paws are cooler, ears are cooler. She has had no change in bms(still prone to constipation managed with metamucil). Besides the hot spot she seems much calmer and improved in her disposition. She is coming to see me later today. Thoughts about the hot spot? I will use the Zi Cao paste and laser for the hot spot. Herbally, I told her to stay the course!
Kevin
by naturevet
May 31, 2009
Hi Kevin,

That's what I would do, too.

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply