Question Details
Chronic Atopy/pruritus
by ericahawker - May 16, 2009
Me again!

Patient is a 7 yr old overweight FS yorkie that has been with current owner for 2 yrs now. Allergy testing was positive for grasses, trees, molds. She is pruritic yr round with itchy ears, eyes, paws, and anus. Temaril-P works very well to control pruritus but becomes itchy again when down to EOD. She is currently on fish oil, probiotic and temaril-P. PU/PD when on prednisone alone.

She does not like the sun, sleeps on her own. Pants throughout the day, difficulty jumping onto bed. Ravenous appetite, drinks a lot of water, normal bms and urine.

Steve, this dog seems to scream "damp heat" to me and I thought Si Miao San would help.

Recommended raw diet also.

Thank you!

Replies
by naturevet
May 16, 2009
SMS and a raw diet seem good ideas to me, too, especially if the pulse was not all that deep or hard to find. Did you take a not of it? If not, try anyway and see how it goes!

S
by ericahawker
May 16, 2009
Yes, forgot to post that tongue is pink, dry. Pulse is deep with moderate strength.
by naturevet
May 16, 2009
Hmmm. That pulse and tongue alone would make me think some sort of hydrating influence is needed. So, given all the heat that is present, I'd probably start with Qing Ying Tang, but be ready with Si Miao San. Or use the two concurrently.

S
by ericahawker
May 17, 2009
A bit embarassing but the client reminded me that we had tried Si Miao San with no success. I guess she is not screaming damp heat, and I will be starting her on the Qing Ying Tang for more of a blood deficiency.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply