Question Details
Hind End Weakness In A Dog
by kristinrennie - October 9, 2014    View Case Report
Hello,
Sheppie is a 12yr old FS Golden with a 4 month hx of severe hind end weakness. Had bilateral FHO's as a puppy and always slightly weak. Then over summer developed severe weakness with inability to get up on her own and dragging hind legs. NSAID trial at rdvm no change. Went to neurologist who put her on Prednisone and o saw 90% improvement. Dog is now weaning down on Pred and o seeing weakness return. She is Pu/Pd, panting, and hungry on steroids. Prior to steroids was not eating or drinking well.
Tongue: thick, lavender/pink with cracks
Pulse: deep, thin, slight lift
Manipulation of GB 34 did help pulse slightly. She feels cold along the spine from T10-L4.
I am having trouble deciding on herbals, the response to steroids is throwing me? I am thinking wind cold but also some form of shao yang disruption?
Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your time,
Kristin
Replies
by naturevet
October 14, 2014
Hi there,

The pulse and tongue definitely say 'Stasis'. The response to prednisone says nerve damage, especially when both hind legs are affected. Shao Yang formulas are our top nerve damage formulas.

So I would go ahead and institute something basic like Xiao Chai Hu Tang (Minor Bupleurum), while holding the pred dose where it is. If the dog strengthens, you know you're onto something.

I've seen needling of GB 25 resolve that coldness over the low back. If it helps this dog, then it's one more reason to use XCHT, since patients that benefit tend to respond also to major GB channel points. I'd also look at needling GB 27, GB 41, and BL 19. If there is a pain component, using a version with added Qin Jiao (say 15 g per 100 g; sold as Benefit Hips and Knees by Kan) might help even more than XCHT alone.

Hope that helps!

Steve
by kristinrennie
October 15, 2014
Thank you so much for your help! Starting XCHT and will see dog tomorrow to further treat the GB points. I will keep you posted.
Kristin
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply