Question Details
Hind Limb Pain In A Dog
by LJH - November 24, 2014    View Case Report
Hi Steve,
After trying several times and changing up info entered got through to the case question. No idea how or why! I'm seeing a 4yr M(N) Border Collie high level agility dog. In early Aug. he had a slip/fall at a competition. Owner describes him as landing with the right hindquarters downside and using the LH to push himself up. He wasn't noticeably lame right then and continued on in the competition but came up lame later. After lying down will hop 3 legged for a few steps then begin using the LH leg to step. He has a short stride with the LH and doesn't track the leg straight forward but swings the leg in a lateral arch forward. With more exertion, or if allowed to run, the lameness will worsen again. She has been keeping him to more shorter leash walks The only noted finding at rDVM initially was pain on palpation of the caudal mid thigh and resistance on abduction/extension of the hip. X-rays of hips/low back and stifles all looked good. Wondered about muscle strain/tear and he received laser treatments with little change. A lot better on a short course of Metacam. Owner has noted that he will always lie with the L Hip down and if he makes a quick turn will almost always turn to the right and flips the left foot up in a "bunny hop". She says he has always done the "bunny hop" with a turn and he will do the same flip action with the right leg when he does turn to the left. No problems with heat or cold, no worse in Damp weather. Appetite and digestion good. Not a big drinker. Haircoat is dull but has always been so. Will bark at strangers, esp. men, when they first come to the house but quickly becomes friendly. No aggression. Social with other animals Tongue was slightly pale pink with lavender tinge. Pulse was deep a bit thin and slightly wiry. When I first saw him he had a large egg sized muscle spasm caudomedial thigh and was sensitive on palpation of BL-18,25,28 GB29(L>R) GB-30 (R>L) and was Very reactive at Liv-13 .
I'm seeing Blood def, spasm, and Stasis, no Dampness. Started him on Bu Gan Tang, Traumeel/spascupreel/ neuralgo rheum and Acupunctured BL-18,40 GB-30, 34, Bai Hui . He had improved stride and went 5 days without 3 legged hopping. After 2nd treatment same points plus BL-17 he was worse that night, 3 legged off and on for 4 days and seemed to be more limping and pronounced lateral swing to stride. All points less reactive when I saw him again but BL-18, GB 30, 34 still a bit sensitive Treated BL-18, 28, 40,60 GB30,34,.I'm trying to find someone for a chiropractic assessment, (Sacroiliac or L-S fixation?)but also thought with the active GB points that adding Benefit Hips and Knees might be useful, or even XFZYT with curcuma. I don't see many sport dogs so any insight or recommendations you might make would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Llewanda
Replies
by naturevet
December 9, 2014
Hi Llewanda,

I think your assessment is bang on: an SI joint fixation causing:
- sciatic nerve impingement and secondary muscle spasm in the hamstrings
- pain on manipulation of the hip (which can't really be isolated from the SI)

Benefit Hips and Knees is perfect for this kind of patient. It fits very well the points you've found to be helpful as well as the pulse and tongue

I also agree with your identification of an associated Blood deficiency. Bu Gan Tang is fine to use for that, or even Si Wu Tang.

Chiropractic should help dramatically. Meanwhile, put a needle into BL 28, which is essentially the SI joint, on the affected side. You can even inject some B 12 into there. There was a recent post from Daren Auger where that helped considerably.

Best of luck,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply