Question Details
Seizures In A Dog
by equinesportsmed - December 21, 2014    View Case Report
Having 1-2 mild seizures once a month, hard-wires overly sensitive Aussie, with anxiety and OCD behaviors. Started him on EFAs, probiotics, Phosphtidyl Choline, Magnesium, Taurine and Heel Deep Organ Detox in late November. No change in behaviors, repeated seizures in mid-December, although one much less mild.

I am going to start him on Gastrodia/Uncaria combo, as he fits diagnosis of Yin deficiency type seizures. My questions are: 1) will he need to be on this for the rest of his life, or just until his Yin comes up to speed? 2) How long will the standard 100 gram granule bottle last for a 40-45# dog?

Thanks!
Replies
by naturevet
December 24, 2014
It's hard to say if the need for it will be permanent. Often, though, if that formula is effective, it can eventually be discontinued. For seizures in mid-December, we also sometimes use a combination of Wu Mei Wan and Qing Ying Tang. I discussed this in a recent webinar on seizures available from CIVT at www.civtedu.org.

Assuming you give up to 2g BID, a 100g bottle will last almost a month. You can probably get by with 2 or 3 g, especially long term, which would double the time the bottle will last. If you go an uncharacteristically long period without seizures, you can probably begin the weaning process

Steve
by equinesportsmed
December 31, 2014
It took a while for them to start the Gastrodia-- had to get their approval, order, ship, pick up. Owner only picked up herbs on Monday. I got an email this morning that he had a seizure at 4 am today (12/31), which breaks the pattern of every four weeks and the mid to late afternoon pattern. I actually took your webinar on epilepsy, and I remember thinking that Aidan was definitely the Yin Deficient type and another dog I am treating for occasional seizures was the second type. Then I just saw the second dog's owner when she came in with her mom, and she told me how restless her dog is all night long, and now Aidan is seizing at night. I'm so confused!! What dosage should we use to load the Gastrodia/Uncaria combo?
by equinesportsmed
December 31, 2014
Also, Aidan now has two cases open because of my question-- can you put them together?
by naturevet
January 21, 2015
Hi Karen,

Sorry about the delayed reply. Now that they have the formula in hand, have them use it and see if the pattern shifts. No dog has perfect alignment regarding diagnosis and seizure timing.

And dogs with Jue Yin excess can certainly be restless at night.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply