Question Details
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus In A Dog
by Fernandez Elizabeth - January 14, 2015    View Case Report
A 6yr F/S 30lb Wire Hair Terrier X Dx with SLE 10/2014. Currently on pred5mg bid, Mycophenolate 125 mg bid, (from Boarded Internist)LPS Support from Evergreen Herbs 1capsule 500mg BID,
Initial signs polyarthritis. Since starting Pred those signs have not been present. Current Chinese exam: pulses deep thin, sl weak, well toned, tongue sl red at tip rest of tongue sl pale. nose cool dry, ear tips &feet; cool
Active points were TH3, LI4& SI3,LI11. ( I have needled them before but last visit way too painful.) Her lab work indicates mild-moderate elevations in ALT,AST,ALP, & GGT. These have been tested 4 times since October and most have continued to inch up slightly. The ANA titer had come down to 1:64 last month but now is up to 1:256 (the high was1:512 in Oct) and she now has bun41 /creatinine 2.1. This is the first indication of any kidney abnormality. General activity /Shen is good and actually as good as she has been since she first got sick.
Clients are not excited about the idea of increasing the pred since she has already gained 5 lbs since Oct. Any thoughts /suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You
Replies
by naturevet
January 21, 2015
Hi Elizabeth,

I have a case of my own of SLE that I've been managing: click here for details

I've found she does best on a combination of Qing Ying Tang and Minor Bupleurum (or Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang)

An aggravation in spring and fall, signaled by a rise in the ANA titer, suggests a Shao Yang disorder, and the use of a Minor Bupleurum derivative

The red tipped tongue and the thin but wiry pulse also suggest a need to cool and tonify. Qing Ying Tang is good at that, pairs well with Minor Bupleurum, and is helpful for immunological diseases in its own right.

So a combination of QYT and XCHT is probably the first thing I'd try.

Hope that helps,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply