Question Details
Mast Cell Tumors In A Dog
by drakedoc - March 11, 2016    View Case Report
This is a 9 year 88 pound Mastiff. She came to me 2 years ago with the complaint of recurring mast cell tumors (all grade 1) and was having 1-2 masses removed every 6-8 months. I changed her to a raw diet, started modified XFZYT 1 1/2tsp BID. One year ago she developed urinary incontinence which improved with San Ren Tang. I also removed another Grade 1 MCT via punch biopsy at that time. San Ren Tang stopped helping so I tried Sang Piao Xiao San when the owner told me she had had the problem when younger and responded to PPA. This herb did nothing for her so the owner put her back on San Ren Tang and put her in a diaper. I recently saw her again, 1 year later. She is happy, still in her diaper, still on modified XFZYT but now she has another MCT. This one does not look like the others, is SQ and less defined. I am praying it is still a grade one but I have my doubts, we are removing it Tuesday 3/16. Her owner also notes that Baily is still playful and happy but she is starting to experience some anxiety with noises and on walks. Because of the expense, she switched Baily to EVO (high protein kibble) for 1/2 of her food, still on Darwin's raw for the other half. She has gained 8 pounds in 3 months with the diet change and is now overweight. Her blood work is normal. Her urine has been dilute for years. Her pulses were deep and wiry. Her tongue is normal. Now I am wondering about TBO and considering adding XCHT. The support for this comes from anxiety and urinary incontinence (although this is longstanding). She has no rear limb weakness or other orthopedic issues. I do not do acupuncture so I have no active points. She is stopping the EVO, going back to just raw and getting her weight down again (which I know she will do). Is my plan reasonable? I don't want to stop the modified XFZYT as it has increased the interval between MCT but I am not sure the incontinence is TBO.
Replies
by naturevet
March 12, 2016
Hi Kathy,

I think that is exactly how I'd start - with Xiao Chai Hu Tang. It will enhance the efficacy of XFZYT and fits the other symptoms, as you noted

I'm glad the diet was switched back. There is no apparent medical benefit at all, as far as I can see, to going 'half raw, half kibble'.

Even if the lesion is grade II or III, your treatment may still induce remission. That is fairly commonly seen

To 'prove' that XCHT is helpful, have the dog come back in and massage the area immediately distal and cranial to the fibular head, near the cranial tibial tuberosity. If the pulse softens, then XCHT is your baby.

Please let us know how it goes!

Good luck,

Steve
by drakedoc
March 16, 2016
Thank you Steve, I love having an alternative to needling GB34 to check wiry pulses. I'll let you know, Kathy
by bannink
March 24, 2016
Hi Kathy,

As a side note, I have found that in patients with a history of multiple mast cell tumors who are on herbs and develop new tumors while on the herbs, especially XFZYT, it is common that the mast cell tumors look different. Often when I FNA these, the tumors do not bleed much if at all and degranulate less. I also get much fewer cells on FNA than is typical for these tumors. Which makes sense given the antihistamine action of Si Wu Tang, a major component of that formula. Tumors are often less defined or "swollen" and smaller than previous. I take that as a good sign that the herbs are helping control, if not completely preventing, the new masses.

Erin
by drakedoc
March 24, 2016
Good Morning Erin, I learned alot from your CIVT webinar last week on MCT, thank you. This mass actually looked more concerning than her previous masses. The histopath came back low grade 2. She has always had Grade 1 tumors in the past but this may simply be a reflection of the new grading system. This dog is actually 98 pounds, not 88. I am using 1 1/2 tsp of modified XFZYT twice daily. Is that dosing appropriate. Would you lower it given the low grade of the MCT? I am hoping the XCHT helps with her urinary incontinence. I don't know yet, hopefully soon. Thank you for your feedback, Kathy
by bannink
March 24, 2016
Hi Kathy,
That dose seems reasonable to me. I wouldn't lower it based on grade, especially given the history of multiple MCTs. Hopefully the XCHT you are adding will bolster your impact. You might also think about checking Vitamin D levels in this patient and supplementing to at least 120 ug/mL.
Erin
by drakedoc
April 20, 2016
Update on Bailey, her anxiety has improved since starting the XCHT but no improvement in the incontinence. Unfortunately nothing that I have tried has helped this problem other than transient improvement with PPA. She has a very busy owner so I don't get to see her and feel her pulses as much as I'd like. Since her anxiety is a little better I'm staying the course for now. If any other suggestions to address the incontinence I'd love it. If not, I'll update again in a month, Kathy
by drakedoc
May 13, 2016
I just spoke with Bailey's owner. She is back in the diaper. Incontinence bad again. Her anxiety is about the same, meaning it did improve a little with the addition of XCHT. I'm considering KI tonification just to see if we see any benefit. She has overall been incredibly healthy for an older mastiff. She is back on raw food only. Try BWDHW? What do you think?
by naturevet
May 24, 2016
Hi Kathy

I've found that combining Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang with XCHT will help incontinence in anxious dogs. It may be worth a try.

If the incontinence is strictly while the dog is sleeping, try Sang Piao Xiao San. Particularly if the dog has ever responded to stilbestrol or phenylpropanolamine, it's a consideration.

It's never wrong to try Rehmannia 8, though, if that's your intuition

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply