Question Details
Heart Based Tumor In A Dog
by doctorlaura50 - July 3, 2016    View Case Report
Sadie is a 15 1/2 year old mixed breed dog that weighs 28 pounds and is extremely active. I am seeing her now because her previous vet has retired and moved out of the state. 4 /12 years ago she was diagnosed with a heart based tumor after she almost cardiac arrested from tamponade. She had a pericardectomy in 2012 at UD Davis and began seeing the now retired veterinarian who started her on modified XFZT, CAS Options, raw diet. She is also on Mantis formula, Rehmannia 8, & White Flower (all from Natural Path). She has been on all of these formulas since 2014. She had a cardiac consultation in December 2014 and there was no evidence of a heart based tumor! Amazing!

I have been seeing Sadie every 2-3 months for a year. I have not changed any of the formulas because she is doing so well. Goes on 5 mile walks and is very energetic.

In March of this year, she was seen at emergency for vomiting & painful abdomen with elevated ALP (I don't know how high - owner never gave me the results-uses another clinic for regular vet care). The GI disease was most likely due to a dietary indiscretion (has happened before). Abdominal U/S showed mild diffuse hepatomegaly with several liver nodules, largest 2 cm (DDX benign hepatoma or nodular regenerative change vs. carcinoma or metastatic neoplasia) & adrenals were though to be enlarged. Chronic renal change, pyelectasia on the left. No further testing has occurred to my knowledge. I saw Sadie at the end of April & she was doing great. She is on my schedule for next week.

My question: since modified XFZYT is a moving formula, do I have to add in additional herbs since she has been on this formula for so long? I am enrolled in a CIVT class to hopefully learn some answers to these basic questions. I believe the other formulas are ok for long term use.

If you have any other suggestions, I would be grateful. I was so impressed with how this case was managed - amazing what the herbs can do!

Thanks,

Laura
Replies
by naturevet
July 4, 2016
Hi Laura,

I think adding a formula won't be a problem. I suspect the dog needs Xiao Chai Hu Tang (Minor Bupleurum), which is combined to advantage in cancer cases with Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang; and also is helpful for urinary incontinence and Kidney deficiency presentations.

If the pulse is deep and wiry, and responds to GB 25, GB 34, or BL 19, then the way forward is pretty clear, and you can expect sustained remissions.

XCHT may be the missing link behind some of the dog's numerous complaints. If it does well, you may be able to slowly simplify the prescription, but it's not necessary if you and the owner are very happy with how things have been, and hopefully will continue to be, going. But the XCHT should address tendencies to hepatomegaly, abdominal pain, and liver enzyme elevation, while further enhancing anti-cancer activity

Hope that helps you out, and I'm very happy you're finding herbal medicine to be so rewarding and interesting! The practice of verterinary herbal medicineheals veterinarians as often as it heals patients.

Steve
by doctorlaura50
July 4, 2016
Thanks so much!

Laura
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply