Question Details
Diskospondylitis In A Dog
by cellohood - October 12, 2016    View Case Report
Hi,
I'm working with a lovely 3 yr old Female intact Duck Toller who started biting at her back end at 3 months then developed neck pain at 6 months. The neurologist thought she had steroid responsive meningitis at first (one of her littermates was diagnosed) but her CSF tap was negative. At 1 yr of age, the neurologist diagnosed her w/ disko and she's been on antibiotics since. In May she rapidly declined & euthanasia was recommended. The owner stopped the antibiotics and was giving metacam, percoset & gabapentin. The owner started a CBD supplement & we started TCVM in June. Since then, Hanna has been feeling great, moving well and off all medications except CBD & Qing Yang Tang. Her CT was repeated last week and although she appears much improved clinically, her diskospondylitis appears to have 'progressed mildly' according to the radiologist.
She is definitely a fire element, tongue brick red, wiry pulses, dry nose & pads, fine yellow dandruff. I've been treating her for Blood Heat over the last few months and although her tongue color is becoming pinker she continues to have dandruff & wiry pulses.
She's 37 lbs and currently taking 1 tsp. Qing Yang Tang every 12 hours. Should I increase the dose or would it be better to add something else?
As always, your advice is MUCH appreciated!
Replies
by naturevet
October 12, 2016
Hi Kathy,

We had a case of discospondylitis in our own practice in June as well. That dog was pretty incapacitated. We used Chai Ge Jie Ji Tang (same formula as for sterile meningitis) and Hoxsey with Boneset. I think for this dog, I'd at least roll in the latter formula. It should pair well with the QYT to give a very specific pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory effect in the bone itself, while the QYT helps to promote lesion resolution in general.

If the Hoxsey doesn't help, then the problem may be more at the nerve level, and some version of Minor Bupleurum, such as the CGJJT mentioned above, or even the basic formula itself, may be warranted

Between the two, you should be able to get this condition resolved

Let me know if you're still struggling

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply