Question Details
Addisonian And Urinary Incontinence In A Dog
by mellissa - October 15, 2016    View Case Report
I am treating a 6 year old female (ovarectomized via laparoscope 6 months after Dx with Addison's) Pharaoh Hound that was diagnosed with Addison's two years ago. She is well controlled with 1 mg pred PO eod and 0.5 cc DOCP every 28 days. She came to me with a 4 month history of urinary incontinence mostly at night or when prone for long periods of time, which started after surgical removal of a keratin cyst at the level of BL 28 on the right side. The scar about 3 inches long vertically, is raised and very hot to the touch. There are no active points that I can find. She is not pu/pd, has normal urination (besides the incontinence) and b.m. No c/s/v/d. She is a very shy dog, but not mean or defensive. She will approach you for treats or if you are not looking directly at her. Tongue appears slightly on the red side. I am terrible with pulse diagnosis, but when some minor occlusion/pressure is applied to the femoral pulse and then released, it feels like a garden hose that has been kinked and the let go when the water is on full blast. I have been treating her once a week for the past three weeks and my tentative diagnosis is Yin deficiency with some possible heart-kidney disconnect. Points I have used are: CV1, BL 23 and 15, GV 3 and 20, KID 3 and 6, and ming men, amongst others. As of today, her pulse feels less like a garden hose, there is less heat in the scar (and some hair regrowth at the surgical site where there hadn't been much before) and the owner reports no incontinence for 6 days. I just wanted to make sure that it sounded like I was on the right track with my Chinese diagnosis and see if there was anything herbal that would help this patient. If we do end up with an herbal, should I be checking labs more often? Will it affect any dosing of what we are using to control her Addison's? Any insight you have into the case would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Mellissa
Replies
by naturevet
October 25, 2016
Hi there,

It sounds like there may have been some post-op nerve root irritation there that could have reflexively involved the sacral plexus to create the incontinence. When I treat incontinence, I'm definitely including points over the sacral foramina, which in this dog is in the vicinity of the scar, since these points are considered the most effective for sphincter control in human acupuncture.

Si Miao San addresses Damp Heat in the lower burner, which would include inflammation over the sacrum, I believe, and it seems to fit your garden hose description of the pulse. It has been useful in some Addisonian patients, due to its adrenal sparing content of beta sitosterol.

Another formula that might help, and which also has the sitosterol in it, is Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan. This might still subdue the inflammation over the sacrum, but has the benefits of being Kidney Yin tonifying, which your response to treatment suggests is desirable. So I might be tempted to start with that one. Some authors view Addison's as being exclusively a Kidney Yin deficiency syndrome, which I don't agree with. But I agree some cases likely are.

Lastly, nerve irritation and inflammation can suggest a benefit of Minor Bupleurum and its derivatives. It addresses Shao Yang and Dai Mai pathology, which can create the pulse you describe. SMS and XCHT are fully compatible, if you care to give them both a try. I consider most cases of Addison's disease to arise from Shao Yang disharmony.

Hope those two or three ideas help. Please let us know how it goes!

Steve
by mellissa
March 3, 2017
Just an update and a question!

Patient is doing well on SMS and XCHT 1/2 tsp each daily. As long as acupuncture continues every 5 weeks or so, she has no urinary leakage. Client would like to know how long to use herbals for. Any suggestions? Thanks!
by mellissa
March 3, 2017
Minimal to no incontinence if AP every 5 weeks or so. Any suggestions on how long to use herbals for?
by naturevet
March 10, 2017
Hi Melissa,

Diet is generally playing a role in any dog that responds well to a SMS-based protocol. It's possible that if they feed an unprocessed homemade or raw low starch diet (i.e. 'paleo' for dogs), they may be able to stop herbs altogether. Meanwhile, they should certainly start seeking the lowest required dose of herbs for their dog, say by cutting first one then the other dose in half, and separating any changes in dose by a week or so. If symptoms recur, they should just undo the last change.

Hope that helps!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply