Question Details
Acute Hepatitis In A Dog
by kkeeney - December 6, 2016    View Case Report
Hello Steve,

I have a new patient- a 4 year old FS heeler mix that is suffering from acute severe hepatitis. On discharge from the hosp recently her ALT was 1392 IU/l, AST 420 IU/l tbili 23.4 mg/dl. No bile acids were run, but abdominal ultrasound showed a hyperechoic hepatic parenchyma. She has a mild neutrophilia 12.4 k/ul eosinophilia 9 k/ul, normal platelets. Anaplasma positive but not symptomatic.

Sher left with a feeding tube and broad spectrum abios (enro, metronidazole), cerenia, denamarin and ursodiol. She saw a nutritionist there who put her on a diet of blended eggs, rice, butter, honey and salt, plus fish oil, and one of the Balance IT supplements.

This all started in Oct with a course of Albon and it is a suspected Albon toxicity situation. She was treated in Oct then relapsed in Nov.

When I saw her she still had her esophagostomy tube and was still having intermittent bouts of nausea and anorexia. She had seen a different acupuncturist a week prior to me that had thankfully placed the dog on Benefit Hips and knees. She seems like she could be a shao yang case to me.

At our visit, her tongue was light pink and her pulse was thin and wiry. Her pulse did improve when I sedated BL18 and again with GB34. She has done well with acuouncture, but I wanted to get your take on the situation regarding herbs and food. I am hoping benefit hips and knees is the right choice for now, but question when she will need something else. Or, should I be doing something else now?

She hates her new diet and seems to want meat. According to the o, the nutritionist told her that meat was dangerous for this dog and she could only have egg protein because of the risks of too much ammonia. There is no definitive diagnosis here though and I have a hard time getting behind this perspective 100%, but I don't feel brave enough to buck the nutritionist. I am hoping maybe you can offer some guidance that would help me to liberate the o to start branching out from the egg and rice only diet.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hope you are well and thank you!

Kelly
Replies
by naturevet
December 7, 2016
Hi Kelly,

The diet could easily be pre-disposing to inflammation with its high fat content. I think in cases like this, where a case could be made for any diet make up, it's important to take the lead from the dog and see what it is drawn to, on the assumption that whatever it feels better on is better for it. If you see behaviour issues after the higher protein meal, then we can say meat is an issue, but not really before. As long as it is unprocessed, absorption will be slow enough for the liver to keep up. Human studies show it is processed diets that are most burdensome to the liver because their absorption is so swift that they can't be processed

The current formula seems okay. You could add Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang given BL 18, or see what XCHT does for now. Eventually you may need Xiao Yao San to finish things off

Also recall Mil Thistle's forte is acute hepatoxicity, but I've successfully treated acute chemical toxicity with XCHT and it's derivatives

Hope that helps. Let us know if things don't clear up!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply